Help diagnosing a strange sound.

Old 06-12-06, 06:49 AM
Help diagnosing a strange sound.

I have a '98 Nissan Maxima that has been great to me. Lately I have started hearing a couple strange noises. The first is when I back up there is a creaking/whining sound. Then when I go forward there is a scraping sound. The whine is constant where as the scraping is repetitive like there is a high spot on the brake rotor. I don't think it is the brakes because the sound is there whether or not the brakes are applied. The sound is also independent of engine speed or in gear. The scraping does go away when I turn to the left and is there going straight or turning right. It sounds like it is coming from the left side of the car however. Reflection of sound increased when passing walls on left, but not walls on right side. I am thinking wheel bearings, but am open to suggestions. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-06, 09:20 AM
Check your brakes first then go from there.

Old 06-12-06, 11:00 AM
jack the car up, put it in neutral and spin the wheel, get under it while someone spins it and try to determine where the sound is coming from. It could be your brakes, wheel bearings, cv's, and maybe some other things that im forgetting.

Old 06-12-06, 11:30 AM
If it only makes the scraping sound under load is it bearings most likely? Possibly cv joint? I don't think it is brakes because the wear tabs make noise while driving but when you step on the peddle it stops.

Old 06-12-06, 05:05 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I am presuming sound is from the front.

You really do need to jack up the front and spin the wheels, and grab them and see if you can wiggle them from side to side or wiggle them when you grab the top and bottom, pulling and pushing. You can jack up one side at a time.

Old 06-13-06, 02:46 AM
Originally Posted by TomJ
If it only makes the scraping sound under load is it bearings most likely? Possibly cv joint? I don't think it is brakes because the wear tabs make noise while driving but when you step on the peddle it stops.

When your car is on the ground, the bearings are under the load, your cv joints don't makes scrapping/schreeching/whinning/squealing, it's makes clunking/popping/cracking and most of all it makes noise when you are turn the wheel all the way while it's moving.

Have you check your brakes yet?.

Old 06-13-06, 03:41 PM
nap
Another vote for brakes here.

Old 06-14-06, 02:51 PM
Originally Posted by nap
Another vote for brakes here.
I am voting frozen caliper in rear or backing shield is scraping rotors

Old 06-14-06, 03:42 PM
I'm not voting. Just tossing out things he can look for so that he looks at everything. That only makes sense. No stone left unturned, so to speak. It's never a bad idea to check out front end parts, anyway. Take it from me. What happened to me last year could have got me killed.

Old 06-14-06, 05:03 PM
message removed, posted in the wrong thread

Last edited by Handy-J; 06-14-06 at 05:17 PM.