Car went dead

Old 06-12-06, 09:13 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Car went dead

1994 ,Achiva,GM, V-6,3.1 engine,A/C
Few days a go ,fine running on road( I am driving )
-Suddenly engine quit
- Car is dead, No crank, nothing
- No power for autometic door lock or anything.
But roof light is on !!
- Check the battery-full charge( took it to Auto zone )
- check alternator ....no problem

- wait 15-20 minutes
- start car...she starts.

-- few minutes after, just dead again !even remote door opener will not work !!
- when restart after 10 min. it statrs , clock never change the time !! ( usually when bettry lose power clock goes to 12.00)
- Can any body help ?
just now car is working but afraid to go on road !!!
- what could be the problem ?
- 6 months a go there was a burnt wire in harness and mechanic put the connector
I will apreciate any help .please.need any more info ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-06, 04:15 AM
C
Originally Posted by Brainking
1994 ,Achiva,GM, V-6,3.1 engine,A/C

- wait 15-20 minutes
- start car...she starts.
- what could be the problem ?
- 6 months a go there was a burnt wire in harness and mechanic put the connector
I will apreciate any help .please.need any more info ?

Thanks
Electrical work is generally very expensive and very tedious. If you are good with a test light and a DVM I'd suggest you buy a copy of the shop manual from GM or check with your local public library. It sounds like there is a either a fusible link that's let go but has partial contact or there is circuit breaker somewhere that's opening up then resetting when it's cooled down.

Start with the wire that burnt up six months ago and ask your mechanic if he can identify which circuit that belongs to. There's no reason a wire should burn up on a properly maintained car unless it was a fusible link and there was a problem in the circuit.

Christopher

Old 06-13-06, 07:08 AM
B
Originally Posted by ChristopherT
Electrical work is generally very expensive and very tedious. If you are good with a test light and a DVM I'd suggest you buy a copy of the shop manual from GM or check with your local public library. It sounds like there is a either a fusible link that's let go but has partial contact or there is circuit breaker somewhere that's opening up then resetting when it's cooled down.

Start with the wire that burnt up six months ago and ask your mechanic if he can identify which circuit that belongs to. There's no reason a wire should burn up on a properly maintained car unless it was a fusible link and there was a problem in the circuit.

Christopher
Thanks,
Today I will try to go down to mechanic and see if he can find ( the braker ) This car I drove from Canada when I came to Houston, and also car has 418,000 Kms on it, I baught it new in 1994, I have maintain very good, so far 2set of tires, one alternator, 2 batteris and twice front brake job, other than that nothing ,no expence !! still runs very good still I go to downtown Houston at 70-75 Mph without any vibration or any problem !!
that is the reasom I don't want to invest 20,000 30,000 $ for a new car!!
I want to keep the car till it runs good !!!

Thanks again
I will post it the out come of the problem ( if they find !! )

Old 06-13-06, 12:02 PM
B
Originally Posted by ChristopherT

Christopher
This morning before I went to Mechanic, some thing I tried......
I started the car.running smooth, then I jiggle the Shift stick back and forthand put it back again on "P" and try to start again ...no luck !! everything was dead, I realise something and I jiggle the shift again from back and foth anf put it on "P" again, and it start again !!
I don't know but I think that somthing to do with shift stickand connection, I went to mechanic and explain this thing and he told me that "the Neutal safty switch" needs to be replaced, I went to auto zone and they told same thing .

Now this swith is $56.00 can anybody guide me where to look for "how to change the switch "? where is the switchis located ? anywhere else can I get less expensive switch ?
in your opinion is this the problem ?
Iwill appreciate help from anybody.
I have 1994, GM, Olds, Ahiva, V6 ,3.1 engine with 3 speeed auto trans.
meanwhile I will keep reading from net.
I would like to do it my self if it is easy to replace.
Thanks

Old 06-14-06, 02:54 AM
B
while a nuetral safety switch could cause the engine not to crank over while attempting to start it shouldnt cause the engine to die or have anything to do with power locks not working.

Old 06-14-06, 08:18 PM
B
Unhappy car went dead

Originally Posted by bejay
while a nuetral safety switch could cause the engine not to crank over while attempting to start it shouldnt cause the engine to die or have anything to do with power locks not working.
Thanks for your reply,Today whole day I ran around the town with my Achiva and no problem , but this evening I went one place stop the car and after 30 minutes try to start again ,no powr, try to shift gears from P to back and forth and no luck, waited few minutes and starts without any problem !!!!

it seems a pattern...
-car will not start
-with key in ignition jiggle the shfter backand forth.
wait few minutes
-car start

any ideas ? any solution ? what could be the problem ? shall I try to replace the "neutral safty switch " ?

I need help please

Old 06-15-06, 02:32 AM
B
sounds like a loose cable problem check the for loose battery cables check at the starter for loose cable and at any distribution blocks just follow the positive battery cable and check it at any connection point all the way to the starter and distribution block if applicable. a distribution block is just a threaded stud mounted in insulated plastic with several wires going to it along with one from the battery may be used to jump start the vehicle as it is usually more easier to access than the battery.