1966 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu

Old 06-13-06, 11:24 PM
F
frza21
Visiting Guest
1966 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu

I have a 66 chevelle malibu, v8 283, automatic. for some reason it keeps running down the battery. i have replaced the alternator and now don't know what it could be. any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-06, 12:20 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
how old is the battery.

Old 06-14-06, 04:07 AM
That's an unfixable problem. Just tell me where I can pick the car up and I'll take the burden off your hands.

Have you checked the voltage to the battery while it's running ?? You should me somewhere around 14.5 vdc. Like Lex said "How old is the battery" ? How long does it take to be dead ?

Another thing to check is the glove box light or trunk light, I've experienced a glove box light that was stuck on and draining the battery. Also A bug I have on my Camaro is that my alarm system will drain the battery if I don't start and run it for a few weeks.

Old 06-15-06, 09:59 PM
F
frza21
Visiting Guest
i bought a brand new battery. and it died a month or so later. it seems to drain most when i let it sit for a week or so.

no lights in the trunk or glove box... at least that turn on. i do have a dome light that works when it wants to(very unpredictable) i also have a stereo in the car that doesnt work any more. just stopped working one day.

Old 06-15-06, 10:09 PM
B
it probably has a slow draw suggest using an ampmeter and hooking it up to battery and one cable to see if there is any draw then you can try disconnecting things like the alternater and voltage regulator to see if the draw drops to zero on an old car like this with a non working radio and no electronics it shouldnt really have any draw on the battery, you can also pull fuses one by one while watching the amp meter and dont overlook the non working radio might disconnect it also if you havent found it by doing the other things mentioned.
keep in mind that the amp meter will read a draw from a dome light so you will need to do all the test with the doors shut if the dome light is activated by the doors being opened.