"Check Engine" indicator 1995 Nissan Altima

Old 06-14-06, 08:29 AM
"Check Engine" indicator 1995 Nissan Altima

Hi,

I just replaced the O2 sensor in my sons 1995 Nissan Altima GXE (2.4L) and the “Check Engine” indicator is still on. I disconnected the battery (I was told would reset the indictor) for about 15-20 minutes. Can someone please guide me to a resolution?

Thanks in advance!

Seth.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-06, 01:54 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Did some one with a scanner tell the code was for an 02 or did you just assume that. Go to autozone and they will scan and clear the code for free.

Old 06-14-06, 01:57 PM
O2 sensor

Someone (a buddy that worked for Nissan) told me that it was probably an O2 sensor. I may have to go to AutoZone if the resetting doesn't work. Do you know how to reset the light/code?

Thanks!

Seth.

Old 06-14-06, 02:01 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
With out knowing the code I cannot tell you if doing that will work usually it will. But if it is something other than an 02 sensor the computer could be picking it up right away. With out having it scanned I cannot tell you if disconnecting the batter will work.

Old 06-14-06, 02:22 PM
O2 sensor (2)

OK, thanks!

Old 07-17-06, 09:17 AM
"Check Engine" light scanned = P1400 code

I brought my 1995 Nissan Altima into AutoZone, hooked up my car to the code scanner and got a P1400 "Auxiliary Emission Controls" message. Does anyone know what part is defective/needs to be replaced? Thanks in advance!

Old 07-17-06, 03:22 PM
Originally Posted by Sethster
I brought my 1995 Nissan Altima into AutoZone, hooked up my car to the code scanner and got a P1400 "Auxiliary Emission Controls" message. Does anyone know what part is defective/needs to be replaced? Thanks in advance!

I don't know about the "Auxiliary Emission control" thingy but I do know the P1400 code on your Nissan, it's EGR solenoid circuit, I would look at the EGR solenoid and check for vacuum hoses and electrical connector and see if any of those loose/bad connection, I then wanna be sure that I have power, ground and signal coming in and out, if not, the solenoid may be seize up. Just a though.

Old 07-17-06, 05:54 PM
Arrow 95 Altima O2 Sensor

I have had the same problem in my 1995 Altima GXE - registered in California. Although the car ran fine, the sensor was lit up on the dash board. The smog tech recommended running higher octane fuel for at least a tank - which appeared to clear up the issue. After running 91 in the car, the light went out and it passed smog.
Hope this helps.

Old 07-18-06, 07:29 AM
"Check Engine" Light went out then back on

I haven't tried the EGR solenoid and higher octane gas suggestion yet, but check out what recently happened:
I used the diag tool (scanner) from AutoZone and "Erased" the code (from the scanner keypad). The light went out for the drive home (turned off/on a few times in between). I talked to my son the next day and he said the light came back on.
Do you think it could still be the EGR solenoid or fuel?

Thanks!

Old 07-18-06, 09:16 AM
If it's a same P1400 code, it's bad EGR solenoid. ECU does not see signal coming from/to soleniod. Make sure you have power and ground to it.

Old 07-18-06, 09:24 AM
Talking I'll try it.

Thanks, I'll check it out

Old 08-23-06, 08:28 AM
Check Engine light went out by itself

Hi,

The Check Engine light went out, on my son's car, by itself. My assumption was that the error code would need to be re-set on the computer, by a tool. Does the computer periodically scan for errors and display only what is failing at the time?

Just wondering.

Thanks!

Old 08-23-06, 05:48 PM
Angry sethster

you know what pisses me off is that u havent done any kind of diagnosing whatsoever , and are asking could it be this or that , youve already wasted money on an o2 and that didnt fix your problem , if u want to throw money away hell give it to me i need it , first off yes the ecm will run monitors to see if any system is failing , you have an intermittent problem because it keeps going on and off , in the egr ckt , there is an egr valve , an egr modulator , an egr solenoid , a temp sensor ,and all the related vac lines that connect it all together , any of these parts can fail and trigger the code u have , so start testing each one individually untill you find the part thats causing the orblem , i can almost say that the vac line to the modulator is bad because this is commen on these , but u wont know until you bury your face under your hood and start c hecking u wont know , but if u want to just change parts , call that guy at nissan who told you it was the o2 , when he used his telepathic powers to scan ur vehicle .

Old 09-12-06, 08:59 AM
Talking Start testing...

Thanks smogman! I like your response (blunt - to the point - in my face). I'll start testing the stuff, starting with the vacuum line to the module. Thanks again! :-)

Old 09-15-06, 04:12 AM
It has to reach a certain temperature and that tells me your valve is sticking prior to failure. It is possible to clean the egr valve but you need to be careful of the solenoid

Old 10-09-06, 09:28 AM
Thumbs up EGR sticking...

Thanks JB, I'll check that too. Is the solenoid a plunger type, that I could clean the plunger, etc. or? The diagram (under the hood) points to the black box with vacuum lines and wires attached. Is that it? And, if yes, is the solenoid inside a plastic case?

Thanks in advance!