Transmission question F250 4X4 Powerstroke 7.3L

Old 06-14-06, 11:43 AM
Question Transmission question F250 4X4 Powerstroke 7.3L

I am going to replace the torque converter on this truck with a banks. I think I can handle all of this part of it..maybe. Banks sent me the instruction manual, seems straight forward and many hours of work.

Ok, once I have the transmission out, how can I test it to make sure the pump is okay inside? I know Ford was going to replace the sink? pump, but that is their standard procedure since they have it out already. Is it bad for sure because the transmission is going out and they know the converter is out?

Any suggestions or places to look for info on the web? If the pump is bad, is this also something I can do myself?

specs - e40d RA100 transmission...off the top of my head so I hope I have that close enough for you to recognize.

F250 4 wheel drive, 7.3 liter diesel Powerstroke, 2001 with 60K miles on it.

Thanks. Susan

Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-06, 06:42 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Its a pretty standard job just make sure the you get the torque converter all the way in; I always call it notches in. Basically you turn a small bit and gently pull back and forth a few millimeters. I am not familiar with banks stuff do they recommed you replace the pump. Its not a bad idea to do but if I were in your place I most likely wouldn't, it would be cheaper to put a transmission pressure gauge in.

Old 06-15-06, 07:09 AM
Question

What does a transmission pressure gauge do? See when I took it to Ford that wanted $1850 to replace the converter and the pump. They will only use the Ford converter though, and that has been shown to fail so often that I want to upgrade it. The pump is something they don't know if it is good until they take the transmission out. However, it is from what I understand standard procedure to go ahead and change it out while you have everything out...at least that is how I understood it from Ford. So, I don't want to replace it if it is still good. Yet, my question is after I get the transmission out, how can I tell if it is good or not? Thanks