side mirror on Grand Am 2001 hanging off door

Old 06-14-06, 11:49 AM
Unhappy side mirror on Grand Am 2001 hanging off door

the driver's side exterior mirror is hanging off. The plastic parts it was attached to on the car are broken. The mirror and casing are fine. Except on this car it was all one piece it looks like. LIke the plastic attached to door is part of the mirror backing.

Is it best to take this somewhere and have them fix it or is this something I can do myself. Tried to super glue it back, but does not work...tape it but does not stay and looks horrible, so unsure. The connections to the door look like they need a special tool to unscrew, pop out, or whatever they do...

Ok, this one isn't my car, but a friend of mines...any help or suggestions is appreciated...thanks

Oh, if I purchased the entire new mirror for about $60, could that be installed by doing it myself? How would that be done? Going through the inside of the door?

Thanks, Susan

Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-06, 12:27 PM
On my wifes 93 Corsica "she knoked hers off 3 times" it was pretty simple. I bought them off the web for about $60 bucks and since they were already black.

You do have to take the door panel off and there should be 3 bolts holding the mirror on.

Old 06-15-06, 07:14 AM
How many hours did it take to get the inside door off and put back on? My friend is not mechanically inclined, and wants to just take it in for repair. I bet they charge him a fortune though.

Personally I took the panel off my Firebird to fix the electric motor on the window. It was a pain in the as*, but I did it. Didn't really know what I was doing though, just stubborn and on a budget girl then. Well still that way

I would think the mirror would be easier. If you take off the panel all you really need to get to are the mirror bolts, and not all the stuff going on inside the door...is my thinking logical?

Old 06-15-06, 08:01 AM
It's not too bad, but for someone that's not too experienced in this typ of work it could be frustrating. The clips that hold the panel on can easily break or tear the board the the panel is made of if not removed properly. Other than that the bolts should not be a huge technical problem.

Old 06-15-06, 06:45 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Do you have power or manual windows. If you have manual there is a clip usually you need to take out to get the window winder off.