1991 Ford Taurus A/C Issues

Old 06-14-06, 12:56 PM
1991 Ford Taurus A/C Issues

I have a 1991 Ford Taurus w/ 3.8L V6. I had the a/c vaccumed out, but when trying to refill was told the compressor was bad and not creating the proper pressure that's why it wasn't cooling. Is it difficult to change the compressor and if so, should I replace the drier and other things? Then do I need to have it vaccumed down again before filling it?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-06, 01:50 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I would look into other reasons personally for why your not creating enough pressure there is a few other things that stand out. But it could be possible the compressor needs replacing. Yes you can have a shop pull a vacuum on the system after your done servicing it, so you can fill that it will save you a lot of money, I would change the accumulator/drier does the vehicle have r12 or r134 in it now.

Difficulty depends how you are with tools. Some time changing oil is a big deal to some people and for others its a walk in the park. Depends what you have. If I was doing it I would say it would be pretty easy.

Old 06-15-06, 03:42 AM
generally the drier and orfice tube will always be changed when a new compressor is installed and yes it will need to be vacumed down again suggest you just let a shop pull the vacum and fill it with freon.