1967 Chevy C10 - Rust and Rebuild?

Old 06-14-06, 11:00 PM
Arrow 1967 Chevy C10 - Rust and Rebuild?

Greetings!
I've recently come into possession of what I believe to be a 1967 C10 Fleetside ("Self Diagnosis", please let me know if the attached picture says otherwise http://www.link-through.com/truck.jpg ), and am very interested in keeping it and restoring it as much as possible. It is, for lack of a better description, a family heirloom that I have come to associate with some family members that I hold dear.
However, I know nothing about cars/trucks/putting things together. Part of this project I intend to be a family project, but I need the first steps to be done "right" and done well. Basically, I want to restore it to how it looked on the day that it was bought, almost 40 years ago now.
The truck runs, although it was not able to pass inspection in Virginia this year due to its steering column being too loose and non-repairable, and the floor of the cab being un-sturdy for lack of a better term.
The truck has undergone a large amount of rust damage, as well as typical wear and tear.
I believe that what I am looking for now is someone / some company to take the truck as-is, remove all the rust and body parts that are beyond repair (Namely anything that would make it unsafe to drive/operate - I know the steering column and wiring harness need to be fixed/replaced), replace anything beyond repair with matching stock parts, and then paint the whole thing to keep it from rusting more (And to increase the asthetic appeal so my wife doesn't kick me to the curb), inside and out, with a semi-original paint job (Original to the truck, that is. A semi-metallic green with some trim; nothing fancy).
I know that is a large part of the process, but I need that to be done by someone who knows what they are doing first so as to ensure the safety of kids/family, and then that gives me something I can work on to bring the rest of the way back (I know some electrics, and would like to do such small things as restoring/fixing the radio, replacing the glass, etc.).
So now I need to know 2 things, and you all were recommended as a place to come for advice.
1) Do I have the right idea for getting the ball rolling? In other words, is what I described that I'm looking for actually match what I should be doing?
2) I live in Winston-Salem, NC, and can take the truck anywhere w/n about an hour from me. Are there any good places that you are aware of that I should look into or contact? And coupled with that, what would a fair price be for just the removal of rust and painting aspects, knowing that the replacement of any parts would be the wildcard.
Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. I have a couple of these trucks that I will be working on, so this, to a certain extent, is a "learning" truck for me. But at the same time, it is the one I value the most and want things to be done right and done well.
Thanks,
-Allan
IAmAllanShore <a-t> link-through.com

Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-06, 03:23 AM
if your really serious about restoring it suggest you find a vehicle in better condition to begin with or you can strip it to the frame and start piecing it back together replacing body pieces such as the cab, possibly the bed with one from another vehicle in better condition that is more easily restored.
this is what is generally done when a cab is rusted out so badly that it is not really worth repairing from the picture I can only really tell the rocker panels and cab corners or shot but I would imagine the cab mounts and floor and front door pillars are all needing replaced wich is more repair than most body shops would want to even attempt to repair not to mention it would cost alot.
check the forum out below they can probably help you out more
in finding parts and any other questions you might have and possibly even a place that does good body work near you.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php

Old 06-15-06, 04:44 AM
As a family heirloom I would suggest having it looked at professionally by some reputable resto shops in your area
I'd suggest getting three opinions, and then make a decision

It may not be the best candidate for a resto, but there would be no other feeling like seeing it in it's glory if that's at all possible

Old 06-15-06, 04:52 AM
Check your local paper for cruise ins. These guys can lead you to the best restore shops that specialize in old cars and trucks. As long as the frame is in good shape the oanels and flooring will be readily available for that truck.

Go for it. What engine is in it ??

Old 06-15-06, 06:55 PM
Originally Posted by mattison
Go for it. What engine is in it ??
Thanks for the advice, all

I'm still trying to figure out where to go "local", and I don't want to buy and rebuild a different truck, this is an all or nothing deal for me...

I've got 2 engines for it. The original V8 (Don't know more than that) and an inline v6 that he rebuilt from an earlier year truck that he had... I'm not sure the specs on either, is there some way I could tell you?

-Allan

Old 06-16-06, 06:43 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I believe the best advice is to find a local car/truck club. Even if the club isn't specific to your truck there will be someone there that knows where good places to go are for both parts and service. Old car buffs are always friendly and willing to help out a new enthusiast.

I understand your reasons for wanting to fix this truck and not a substitute. I have never been big on bowties so I don't know much about their after market parts but for most popular vehichles you can buy all kinds of patch panels, wiring, rubbers, etc.

If you can find out how to decipher it, the vin # plate will tell the engine size, original color and other options. There also should be numbers on the engine blocks that would identify them.

Wish you well on your restoration. I love to see the old cars/trucks going down the road.

Old 06-16-06, 09:14 PM
looks like junk to me ( no offense )

I hope you have deep pockets, you will need them. Best of Luck.

Old 06-17-06, 06:09 AM
Post the vin# and the code on the block. I can get you some info with those.

In my opinion going with the V8 would be the best. Get me the block numbers and I'll bet it's a 327 or 350.

I don't think it looks that bad really. New rocker panels and corner panels, maybe floor pans. Other than that it's standard body work and paint.

Here is a link to the Super Chevy show. Scroll down and check out the guys 67' Chevy truck like your's. If done right you will have a great ride. http://www.superchevyshow.com/2005%2...%20Photos.html

Old 06-17-06, 08:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by mattison
I don't think it looks that bad really.
I agree! Although I probably wouldn't bother fixing up a chevy in that condition I have restored fords that were in a lot worse shape Plus you have the sentimental factor with that particular truck.

Search this Thread