Products that will give you infinite mileage?

Old 06-15-06, 09:04 AM
Products that will give you infinite mileage?

I have seen claims on improved performance/gas mileage with various products. Two in particular are “high tech” plugs, “high tech” air filters (not to be confused with devices that alter air flow), and “high tech” oil products.

A given volume of gas has a specific amount of energy available. There is no way to change that. The only way to get more energy out is to send less unburned fuel out on the exhaust stroke (combust more). Is there such a plug that can burn more? I have seen the funky designs that look good and sound good on paper, but if “standard” plugs burn as much as possible, all the funky design in the world is not going to do a thing. Is there an independent agency that actually tests these product claims? Can any harm be done by any of these products?

There is an air filter company that I have seen great things about as well. Their product is very expensive, but it can be cleaned (unlike a paper filter) and is supposed to last up to 50K miles between cleanings. Perhaps this product price can be justified by replacement (or lack of) costs alone, but does it (or any filter with similar claims) really improve performance/mileage?

Finally, what about lubricants (and additives)? You could make a more efficient vehicle if there were less friction losses, that is obvious. Is there truly a product that can reduce frictional losses. I see many make a claim to stick to the cylinders and have commercials with engines running without oil (while being well cooler). Any oil can do that, most engines can handle a loss of oil (lubrication wise), but they cannot handle the loss of cooling provided by the oil (the oil removes bunches of heat). Are there any independent tests on various products that support/kill claims? Is there a product that has been proven to increase the lubrication sufficiently to have a noticeable impact on performance?

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-06, 09:29 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you put all the devices and potions on or into your car, you could save over 100% on gas. Simply put, you would generate gas which would end our dependence on foreign oil.

If you believe this, I've got a bridge in Brooklyn for sale at a good price.

Clean filters, a tune up, and light on the gas pedal is the best way to improve fuel economy.

Old 06-15-06, 09:55 AM
Legitimate study after legitimate study have proved time and time again the biggest single best factor in fuel mileage, aside from the actual vehicle itself, is driving habits
(The latest being a consumer reports study)

The problem is, we all think we are great drivers
We are not

The synthetic lubes and oil/cotton air filters (which is actually an old school concept) may help add MPG your specific situation, but not in whole numbers, or in a cost effective way

*Yes I have seen the HP/T increase on the dyno from the filter/synth combo
It's real
But more HP/T does not mean less fuel burned
Conceivably it could let the engine operate more efficiently
And that could result in better mileage
In a specific example
But again, we are talking percentages of points here

Old 06-15-06, 10:14 AM
Show me the money

If you could not tell, I am quite skeptical (I know some of the claims could be achieved, but not by anything worth buying (cost benefit).

Do I pay more for a plug because it is made to last longer? Yes. Is there a plug out there that has been proven (independently) to burn more gas than a standard design? (If a standard plug causes 99.9% combustion, there cannot be much improvement no matter what you do).

Do you pay more for a filter because it lasts longer (with the same efficiency), sure, why not, if there is a cost benefit (I would not pay 3X more for something that has a 2X longer life). Pay more for the performance benefit? Show me an independent study that shows use of filter X results in less wasted fuel, and I will think about it, but I can’t find the independent studies.

Common sense dictates less friction implies less energy wasted (higher performance). There are lubricants superior to oil, but they are either expensive to produce or do not have the heat removal capability and flow characteristics of oil. If it was just about lubrication, we could make teflon coated moving parts and need to oil at all. I would love to see a study that tests many products and find one that actually results in the engine working less to overcome friction (and the engine is not the only place friction causes energy to be wasted).

All I really want is to see a comparison of various products and testing by independent labs. Is there any such thing?

And yes, I know driving habits are the biggy. Now that I have a vehicle the shows me the instantaneous mileage, that is quite evident (punch it from a light, 1 mpg, drive like an old lady up to speed, average, 10 mpg).

Old 06-15-06, 10:53 AM
Well, the spark plug thing is hooey as far as I can tell
Except in certain forced induction situations
The Lube and Air Intake, you'll need to scout around the Hot Rod and Racing sites/publications
Especially drag racing
And not the ads either, the tests and articles
You want dyno numbers

As for:
All I really want is to see a comparison of various products and testing by independent labs. Is there any such thing?
You'll find them
But not all in one place

And again, it's real specific to vehicle and engine
What works for your Mustang might not do anything for your Altima....or Mini Cooper
It's just not that simple

Also I'd like to repeat:
Just because a K&N filter and Mobil 1 all-around increase the HP/T in your Firebird, doesn't mean you specifically will save fuel
It's merely a possibility

The racers have most of the studies because a proper air filter and lube can mean the difference between winning and losing
It's actually unlikely that 12 HP can be felt on the street or shows up in actual full numbers in your MPG

Old 06-15-06, 11:28 AM
Simply put..... there are none so stop wasting your time on something that doesn't exist....
We can make teflon coated parts..... heck the upper bearing in my mowers engine is a steel back, teflon coated bronze bearing.

Teflon additives did show to increase mpg's...... it also doubled or tripled the wear on the engine.... teflon takes alot of heat to bond, far more then what the engine runs at, the teflon will clump up and clog low flow places, and the cross hatch in the bores.... and the rest clogs the filter.
Duralube contains chlorinated parrafins.... chlorine..... makes what is like battery acid in your engine.

K&N air filters..... lets in more air, and also more dirt that wears the engine out faster.

Synthetic oils have shown to increase mileage some... and to decrease wear some... but not by much.

Now spark plugs, some actually will increase mileage.... but only some.... not really much to even tell. If they don't need the gas hog, most will get rid of em for a high mpg vehicle... which has shown to actually work.

Old 06-15-06, 06:40 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Easiest ways to improve gas mileage

Tried and test for decades.

Don't leave heavy objects/trunk over loaded save weight.

Proper tire pressure check once a week.

Don't have an air filter so dirty you can plant tomatos in it I have seen them.

Any products that claim to get gas mileage only; buy if they will back it up in writing for your make and model of vehicle with no if ands or buts

Restoring car to original fuel economy of course tune ups and fuel injections services, also checking for vacuum leaks. I check for vacuum leaks by using my air compressor and building a fitting out of plumbing piping and couplers to eventualy fit over the throttle body and then pressurize the intake system to about 8psi. You would be surprised the places you will find air leaks in your vacuum. I had a case where the O-rings for the injectors were leaking air like mad. Along with the hidden tiny holes in vacuum lines.

Old 06-15-06, 06:44 PM
Originally Posted by scalar
Proper tire pressure check once a week.
ok...here's a question...

Does that mean the tire pressure listed on the door frame...or the one written on the tires?

(and no, neither vehicle I'm asking about has the original tires...and the difference is 25psi)

Old 06-15-06, 06:58 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Go by inside the door I use that as the base but people run many different tires and rims and loads. Then keep an eye on the way your tires are wearing. IF the middles are wearing way faster than the edges you are to high. If the outsides are wearing way faster than the middle to low. If wear is even then everything is grand and pressure choice is perfect. If you notice something and choose to change the pressure do it in 2 psi increments or decrements. Most people don't even keep there tires that accurate anyways. Use a digital tire gauge to so you can keep each tire with in 0.5psi of the pressure desired. Digital tires gauges should cost under $20 and can be found at autostores, walmart, target etc. etc. Also only set tire pressure after the car has sat over night and then first thing in the morning before driving. If your really crazy about pressure like I am when ever there is quite a big temp change outside like seen in fall or spring, adjust that day, large temp changes outside can change tire pressure by 5psi I have seen sometimes in mine.