Service Light Taurus - Misfire?

Old 06-15-06, 10:42 AM
Question Service Light Taurus - Misfire?

I have a 1999 Ford Taurus. The "Service Engine Soon" light came on when I was having other work done. The mechanic said that #5 plug was misfiring. He replaced the plug and wire and the problem is still there. Thinks it may be the coil.

I've had this problem in the past, but the light eventually goes away and I don't worry about it.

Should I worry and what would the symptoms of a misfire be?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-06, 05:07 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Its hard to say with out a proper diagnosis with a sun machine on whether or not the wires are functioning correctly. I have done lots of tune ups and a week later the car would be misfiring. Sun machine always found one bad wire. Cheap wires will do that. If the wires are fine then I would look into a coil pack.

Old 06-16-06, 01:34 PM
Thanks

I that expensive to fix?

Old 06-16-06, 01:44 PM
suggest seeing a shop it could be the coil but they can be tested it can also be caused by alot of other things suggest you see another shop.

Old 06-20-06, 07:35 AM
Question New $$$$$$$$$ Diagnosis

Mechanic who was doing other work on this car a month ago replaced plug & wire which didn't fix the problem, said he wasn't an expert, but thought it might be the coil.

New mechanic says (???) cylinder is low on compression with only 60 pounds. Will take the valve cover off for $150 to verify, but he thinks the heads may have to be removed to fix it - $1200

Does this diagnosis sound reasonable?

What about the cost?

Having spent over $700 a month ago, I can't see investing another $1200 in a 1999 Ford Taurus that may not be worth it.

Old 06-20-06, 07:56 AM
how many miles is on this car and what size engine?
is it running rough all the time at idle?
not sure what is going to be verified by pulling the valve cover possibly can check for btoken valve springs, a leak down test would need to be done to see were the cylinder is leaking could be valvetrain problem valve or spring, not likely to be a head gasket with just one cylinder low, or piston or ring problem. if you dont want to fix it due to cost perhaps its time to trade it off.

Old 06-20-06, 08:02 AM
I think that it's a V6 3.00L engine.

As far as running rough in idle, it does it occasionally. Otherwise, it gets me around.

If the mechanic says $1200, I might just have to drive, locally of course, it until it dies on me.

Old 06-20-06, 02:16 PM
When the mechanic verified the $1200 to fix whatever this problem was, I told him no thanks, that I would drive my car locally until it died and got off with a $180 bill.

Being sympathetic he told me to add some stop leak to my radiator and this might extend the life of my car.

Old 06-21-06, 05:44 AM
It's a 1999 Ford Taurus, 3.0L V6 with 86000 miles on it.

The Ford curse has hit my family again!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-21-06, 09:13 AM
still wondering

for $180 you should have gotten compression numbers for all six please post them.

and... he should have blown comressed air into the cylinder in question with all valves for that cylinder closed(TDC) and determined if the air leaked out the intake, tail pipe or oil filler. Which will tell you if you have an intake valve, exhaust valve or ring problem.

with a mechanical problem like this, I wonder why your cel is not on constanly and the car doesn't run much worse. It seems that your o2 sensors will be going nuts with the puffs of unexpectly high o2 which will change the amount of gas delivered by the injectors.

and the leak stop? how does that fit in?

you said the problem started while other work was being done. Maybe that work deserves a closer look.

Old 06-21-06, 11:04 AM
Actually, the CEL has been intermittent since shortly after buying the car 2 years ago. Some times the light comes on for a few hours, some times a few days and it can go months before it comes on again. The last time CEL came on was when I had to replaced a freeze plug.

I also thought it unusal that this last mechanic would say the car had such a serious and expensive problem when it is barely noticable if at all. For now I am going to put some stop leak in the radiator and hope for the best.

Old 06-21-06, 11:59 AM
I would advise buying a cheap compression tester and testing it yourself. Harbor frieght has one on sale for $8.99. THen test each cylinder and post it back up here.

I am curious about the stop leak in your radiator? are you losing any radiator fluid? is it leaking? is it being burned in the engine?