Front Disc Brakes Replace On A '93 Toyota Camary

Old 06-15-06, 11:56 AM
Front Disc Brakes Replace On A '93 Toyota Camary

hello,

anybody know what kind of bolts mount the caliper on this beast? are they hex, allen, or torx, and what size would i need? im doing yet another brake job, and need to buy tools, so, thats why im asking...ty...bob

Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-06, 04:44 PM
Group Moderator
Should be regular hex metric. Mmmm 14mm maybe? If not, likely a 12 or 13.

Old 06-15-06, 05:34 PM
tow guy,

two hex bolts, top and bottom i assume?

bob

Old 06-16-06, 07:06 AM
Group Moderator
Don't quote me because I haven't done one in a while (old Camry probably needed it when it was sold, present one not due yet), but I believe that is the configuration

Old 06-16-06, 02:56 PM
tow guy,

ty for the info. i called a toyota dealership, spoke with a mechanic there, he said 14mm, and that u just losing the caliper and slide the old ones out, new ones in and tighten.sounds toooooo simplle! now if the rotors need to be replaced, i would have to take the 14 mm bolts all the way out, or are there other bolts mounting the caliper to the spindle???

bob

Old 06-17-06, 06:56 AM
Group Moderator
Racking my brain trying to remember the rotor configuration. Some vehicles the rotor will simply slip off the lug studs, others are more involved. Can't recall the Camry set-up. You can find all the particulars on the autozone.com website (http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBr...d8013f8bf.jsp). Unless they look bad or you are having issues related to them, I would leave them alone. Our previous Camry had 175,000 miles on it and never had the rotors off (plenty of pad replacements, tho). For the pads, the mechanic was doing a bit of oversimplifying. For instance he neglected to say "compress the piston in the caliper" which you will need to do in order for the new pads to have sufficient clearance to go over the rotor. You can accomplish this with a large c-clamp or the parts stores sell a cheapo compressor tool (and some will rent you a better one).

Old 06-17-06, 11:49 AM
tow guy,

ty for the link, amd info. yes, i figured u would have to compress the piston, every disc brake job i ever did, but one, i needed to compress the piston. the oddball was a subaru! i could not get the piston to compress even when i opened the bleeder! on that particular car (80's vintage) u just screwed the piston back into the caliper. drove me nuts for two days til i finally found someone that had done it before. u couldnt see the threaded shaft because the dust boot coverd it!

bob

Old 06-17-06, 11:59 AM
nap
Ideally and especially if you have anti-lock brakes, you should not compress the piston without opening the bleeder first. If you push the fluid back through the anti-lock actuator, it may carry particles of dirt and rust with it. This can wreak havoc on anti-lock brakes.

This also gives you a chance to flush the hydraulics to get fresh clean and moisture free fluid to at least the front brakes. Moisture laden fluid will boil at a much lower temp than clean fluid. Boiling fluid is not a good thing.

Old 06-17-06, 06:37 PM
Group Moderator
Good p.s. although I doubt a '93 camry would have ABS.