service engine soon

Old 06-15-06, 12:57 PM
Question service engine soon

service engine soon light came on for about a mile on my (94 lumina 3.1L V6 130k miles)last week,after i restarted car warning light was gone and hasn't been on since.Should i disregard unless it comes on again,or take it in for service to see if they can pull a code?car runs great no power loss,starts right up.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-06, 01:28 PM
i wouldnt worry about it unless it comes back on. if you do want to get it checked out, some places such as autozone read codes for free.

Old 06-16-06, 11:47 AM
serice engine light

I got the code pulled and it's the egr solenoid malfunctioning.It only occurs at rapid decelleration from high speeds 70mph+.Otherwise car runs great,i only plan on keeping car for another yr.or about 15,000 miles.the egr is$300,anybody know what can happen if i don't replace it,i mean its strictly an emmissions control it doesn't seem to affect the car performance.

Old 06-16-06, 01:33 PM
usually an egr code is commonly caused by carbon build up in the intake passages I wouldnt be buying an egr without testing your old one first as there is a good chance there is nothing wrong with yours.

Old 06-16-06, 02:07 PM
like i stated above beejay,the solenoid is malfunctioning,i was hoping you or someone else would respond if i can get by without replacing egr valve since i'mplanning to keep the car only for one yr.about 15000miles and it is an expensive part$300aftermarket,$430oe. thanks fornot answering my question beejay.

Old 06-16-06, 03:09 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Get an EGR from the junk/salvage yard. Save some big dollars. Another thing you could do is just take the bulb out of the service engine light. When I had the EGR issue with my camaro I put electrical tape over the light. so out of sight out of mind.

Old 06-16-06, 03:34 PM
Chances are real good the plenum passageway is restricted. A real PITA to get to.
BTW, you can drive it the way it is. It might use more fuel though.

Old 06-16-06, 03:44 PM
one question,one answer please.

ok,i guess i should rephrase my only question,what happens if i keep driving my car without replacing my defective egr valve?

Old 06-16-06, 03:58 PM
dont remove the check engine light bulb. if you do not want to fix it then dont and just live with the check engine light or put tape over it.
the ecm usually throws an egr solenoid error code but this doesnt mean that the egr is bad, to begin with all the ecm knows is that when a certain solenoid is energized it should be able to tell whether it is recirculating the exhuast gas through the engine by the o2 sensor data if it doesnt detect any changes it will set one of the 3 codes for the egr valve solenoid error wether it is due to a bad egr or a broken wire or carboned up passages in the intake it doesnt matter, its going to set the same code or codes for the egr there is three possible codes one for each of the 3 solenoids in the egr valve.
the egr purpose is to help increase gas mileage slightly and reduce combustion temps and help reduce knocking or engine detonation and help lower emmisions you could go out and buy a new one and bolt it on and still probably have a check engine light coming on with the same codes.

Old 06-17-06, 03:18 AM
Like I said, nothing, but it might use more fuel.