Clean 83 cutlass overheating

Old 06-16-06, 03:59 PM
Question Clean 83 cutlass overheating

Im a proud female owner of an 83 cutlass, My baby is getting very hot I run the heater full blast for a few minuts and it keeps it under control, What should I do? I bought a new thermastat,and coolant/antifreez...

Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-06, 04:05 PM
thermostat would be a good start if it still occurs might want to get the radiater checked out.

Old 06-17-06, 03:29 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Is it hot out when this happens or does it do it all the time? Do you have a/c and it does it only when the a/c is on? Do you have a belt-driven radiator fan?, or one of those newer electric fans that just comes on at times?

Old 06-18-06, 12:40 PM
Cool If it isn't one thing it's another

Hi DaVeBoy yep, it's a belt driven radiator fan. Well it sorta kinda does it all the time .. but I guess mostly when it's hot out, anyways I changed the thermastat & put a new radiatoir cap on... but now something is leaking from one of the little black hoses that I touched.

Old 06-18-06, 03:02 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Well, we know that you dont' have an issue with yor fan not coming on, as it should, as can be the case with electric fans that only come on when needed.

BUT, you still could have a problem with your type of fan system. The belt has to be tight enough to turn. And if it is a clutch type fan, you have to look and see that it turns when you have it sitting there idling. (Going down the highway these clutch fans are designed to free spin and allow the wind blowing through the radiator to take over the cooling chores when cruisng down the highway. They came up with this system to help conserve engine robbing horsepower.

Make sure you have coolant filled up in your radiator, and don't go by just the fact that your reservoir might be full. Actually check out the level in the radiator itself (with the engine cool).

Idle the vehicle with the radiator cap off and see if coolant will circulate through the radiator without gushing out the top of the open radiator. Start this test with the engine cool and the cap cover off. Then let the vehicle idle till it warms up and starts to circulate the water. You will see this occur if you look down in the top of the radiator. Because coolant is so expensive these days, you may want to put some pans under the car to try to capture the coolant that bubbles out. If the coolant level drops way down from continously bubbling out the coolant at idle speed adn from even reving the engine some, this would indicate a blockage, and the first place to suspect is the radiator as being plugged.

But, if the water temp gauge keeps climbling above normal operating temperature and there is no water movement down in the radiator...this would mean that the water pump is broke or not turning for some reason, or that the thermostat is not working and possibly could be in backwards.