water on frt pass side floor RAM 1500

Old 06-18-06, 08:17 AM
water on frt pass side floor RAM 1500

I have a 1999 Dodge Ram 1500. When I took my floor pads out to clean, I noticed a pool of water on the pass side floor. I have the plastic floor rather than carpeting. Water appears to be coming in under the floor pad from the dash area, because I felt the insulation/padding under the plastic flooring and it is wet all the way up under the dash. I have not completely removed the floor pads, trace have not been able to observe where from under the dash it is coming from. I do not believe it is rain, but am suspicious about condensation from the A/C. Could that happen? Is there a hose from the evaporator leading outside that may be plugged or something? If so how to I get to it.

Karl
Orlando, FL

Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-06, 08:46 AM
Group Moderator
You got it Karl; likely your drain is clogged. Raise hood and look for hose coming out of the firewall on the passenger side. Where it attaches to the ac ducting may also be visible from the inside. A shop vac works pretty well for sucking out the clog. If you can remove the hose entirely (making sure it's easy to reattach) you can blow it out or run a wire through it.

Old 06-18-06, 08:54 AM
Thanks a lot.

When it stops raining I will have to look closer under the hood for some hose. Yesterday I briefly looked under the hood and inside behind the glove compartment (which is not there...it broke off several year ago :<) ) and did not see anything. Only place I saw water outside condensing on the accumulator (and the puddle on the floor).

Old 06-18-06, 09:01 AM
Group Moderator
Looking inside it should be down low, about where your toes would be if you sit down and stretch your legs out, if it's accessible from there.

Old 06-18-06, 09:40 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It is also possible that you have a leaking heater core
Hopefully it is just the ac.

Old 06-18-06, 03:24 PM
Group Moderator
Thanks, Mark, meant to say that, but sounded like he was describing plain water.

Old 06-18-06, 07:37 PM
What would be coming from the heater core? Coolant?
I believe what I have on the floor is plan water. Guess I should look at it closer, but I am pretty sure it was not coolant.

Karl

Old 06-19-06, 04:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you have antifreeze in your cooling system you would be able to both see the color and smell it [kind of a sweet smell] heater cores can be a real bear to change but it sounds like you don't have that problem.