ac dye question

Old 06-19-06, 01:32 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
ac dye question

I have been injecting tracer dye into a/c systems for 134 with a can that has it compressed in it much like a small freon can and i hold the button for 3 secs and the tracer dye sprays in.

I have been looking at buying the ones that look like caulk guns and tubes to inject dye since it can be done more precisely.

My question is: is the fitting on the end of the dye tube that goes in that caulk looking gun, fitted like the male screw end of a can of freon so I can use a short hose that would normally connect to the can of freon and connect it to the dye tube.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-06, 06:13 PM
Not sure, ive never seen that setup. I have seen the cans with the screw on top, so you could use them with your manifold set. I thought the little can with the spout on it was adequate and works decently as long as you wrap a rag around the connection so you dont have nice glowing spray everywhere, and if you have a good blacklight. The little pen ones that they usually sell are quite useless unless you know the area within a few inches.

Old 06-19-06, 06:46 PM
I have the UV light and glasses using a blacklight sucks, the leaks stand out better with the automotive one and the light is more intense. Plus you can get the uv light and glasses for $40 now.

And when you say to use the rag so the stuff doesn't spray every where, atleast I know I am not the only idiot getting it all over. Thats why I want to use the other injection method.

Old 06-20-06, 03:28 AM
if you just buy the r134a uv freon it will have dye already in it and usually makes less of a mess than the tubes that inject a certain amount of dye into the system.

Old 06-20-06, 05:37 AM
considering that dye in the freon is $3-4 more a bottle than just a can of freon. And my problem with that was if the really is a really really slow one where it takes a few days to to leak that dye may not show like the issue I had finding the leak until I injected just dye in. I must have gone through 5 cans of freon with the dye.

Search this Thread