diagnostic help please...'93 sable 3.8

Old 06-20-06, 09:03 PM
rob
diagnostic help please...'93 sable 3.8

Hi - Any help is appreciated. I have a

1993 sable 3.8

It runs fine (no noticeable problem) except that the check engine light goes on occassionally. I pulled the codes for KOEO and they are:

Current Code - 335: EGR sensor circuit voltage higher or lower than expected

Memory Codes - 57: neutral pressure switch circuit fault; 332: Insufficient EGR flow

For about a year now, the lamp would go on if I went down hill for a few minutes, but would then go out once I was climbing or on flat ground. I didn't notice any problems besides that, and it was so infrequent, that I ignored it. The light goes on and off daily now.

Funny thing is that it just passed smog (CA) no problem!

Thx!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-06, 10:31 PM
Originally Posted by rob
Hi - Any help is appreciated. I have a

1993 sable 3.8

It runs fine (no noticeable problem) except that the check engine light goes on occassionally. I pulled the codes for KOEO and they are:

Current Code - 335: EGR sensor circuit voltage higher or lower than expected

Memory Codes - 57: neutral pressure switch circuit fault; 332: Insufficient EGR flow

For about a year now, the lamp would go on if I went down hill for a few minutes, but would then go out once I was climbing or on flat ground. I didn't notice any problems besides that, and it was so infrequent, that I ignored it. The light goes on and off daily now.

Funny thing is that it just passed smog (CA) no problem!

Thx!

Even with the codes it's hard to know for sure what's going on with your car, being a 1993 model I wouldn't worry too much about it since I think its nearing the end of its service life, how many miles on it ?
Now if you want to fix it, start by changing egr sensor (s), you may need to change egr valve too.
EGR stands for Exhaust Gas Recirculation, and involves hot exhaust gasses being recirculated thru your intake to your combustion chamber. ( Emissions Control System )

Old 06-21-06, 06:50 AM
Group Moderator
One suggestion first: check/replace the small vacuum hoses that run from the vacuum regulator (EVR) to the egr valve and to the vacuum source. They are a failure item; not sure if bad ones will give the codes indicated, but it's the fastest/cheapest to check & fix. Just don't buy the replacement hoses from Ford; generic vacuum tubing works fine.

More info:

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBr...3d800bfbe6.jsp

Old 06-21-06, 08:41 AM
rob
Thanks for the suggestions and a great link to AZ!

Old 06-21-06, 08:49 AM
more checks

with car off, take your hand-held vacuum pump and pull a bit on the egr valve. If it holds, it is probably good.

Release the vacuum start the car and idle until warm ( at lowest idle). Now pull vacuum on the egr valve. The idle should turn to crap (you should have no doubt and you don't need a tach) as you essentially create a vacuum leak. If it does not, your idle control valve may have compensated, so unplug it and repeat the test. Remember you want a crappy idle. If you don't get a big change in idle quality, your egr valve, pipe or mostl ikely, your plenum is plugged up with carbon. Disassemble and clean as required.

if the idle is crappy, the egr valve and plumbing are good, so check vacuum hoses as Tow Guy suggested and wires and then suspect the egr pressure sensor (autozone sells and may bench test these) and finally the egr vacuum control valve (probably a dealer part). The sensor may be connected to the egr pipe with a short length of about 1/4" OD hose make sure it is there and open. If it is missing replace it, but not with garden-variety rubber since it conducts hot exhaust.

Do you notice more knocking now than in the past before you got the cel?

sorry, no clue about the #57. The above is based on personal experience with a 3.0 '94 taurus and similar problems.

What is the tranny and head gasket history on this gem?

Old 06-21-06, 09:01 AM
rob
I'll try out the diagnostics that you suggested.

The car had a blown head gasket at about 36k, a ford design problem, although I had to pay for this one. I've had the trans replaced with a rebuilt. The car is running really well, so I suspect more sensor related problems rather than real physical problems like a head gasket, etc.

How come you asked about the trans? Vacuum connections to it?

thx,
Rob

Old 06-21-06, 09:23 AM
about the tranny

Taurus/sables were as common as water back in the early '90's. Most seem to have disappeared and are in junk yards now. I wonder what the final no-fix problem is for most people.

Old 06-21-06, 09:53 AM
rob
I don't know what the final "no-fix" problem is going to be, but this isn't it!

When I had the head gasket problem at 36k, it turned into a valve job and then a new short block. That turned into a new transmission. It's a long story. I had to take him to court and we shared the costs. He was grossly negligent. I think maybe he had a 10 year old working on my car. Anyway, once the car was taken apart and put back together again a few times, it was in really good shape with essentially a new engine and trans. I just put new brakes on it at 160K and it really runs well. I've been very happy with the car except for the initial problems. ;-)

Old 06-21-06, 10:16 AM
Group Moderator
Typical Sable/Taurus story. An awful lot of their owners paid for premature failure of head gasket or tranny, often both (had one in our extended family that needed both before turning 50k miles).