Doesn't Want To Go

Old 06-21-06, 10:12 AM
Doesn't Want To Go

Ok I have a 91 Grand Am LE 2.5l and i just replaced the timing chain and had it retimed, replaced the spark plugs, ign mod, crand pos sensor, coils packs, intake manifold gasket and it stills does what it did before. when i have to punch it or take off fast it acts like there isnt any gas and acts like its going to die but this only happens in drive. when i put it in park or netural i can rev it up with no problems.

any one have any ideas

Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-06, 11:58 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
when you are cruising at 50-60mph and go full throttle does it do this. If not then I am going to say torque converter is staying locked.

Take it for a spin and get back to us

Old 06-21-06, 02:05 PM
Originally Posted by scalar
when you are cruising at 50-60mph and go full throttle does it do this. If not then I am going to say torque converter is staying locked.

Take it for a spin and get back to us
yes it still does it

Old 06-21-06, 02:40 PM
can you check the fuel pressure with a gauge and make sure that it drops quick when you rev the motor and make sure no fuel is dripping out of its vacuums port for the regulator.

I am also wondering if the MAS has a slow response.

I would also double check that the cams and crank are right on and that the chain has proper tension.

Old 06-21-06, 04:33 PM
What did your plugs insulator (that is inside the cylinder) and electrodes look like for color and wear, that you just replaced?

You could be being fed too much, or too little gas. In park...even revving engine, it is under no load, and the fuel mixture ratio is not AS important then as when the engine is under load. But under load when it needs more mixture, that is when you notice problems.

What kind of fuel delivery system does your engine utilize?: Throttle body or multi-port fuel injection?

You could simulate a load by putting the car in drive and trying to accelerate with your foot on the brake. I bet it dies in a split second.

Old 06-21-06, 07:12 PM
Originally Posted by DaVeBoy
What did your plugs insulator (that is inside the cylinder) and electrodes look like for color and wear, that you just replaced?
the old plugs were black

What kind of fuel delivery system does your engine utilize?Throttle body

Old 06-21-06, 07:51 PM
map sensor check that you don't have a mas

Also take a can on throttle body cleaner and get the rpms up and spray it in the throttle body for sake of cleaning the back of the valves.

Old 06-21-06, 08:09 PM
map sensor check that you don't have a mas

Also take a can on throttle body cleaner and get the rpms up and spray it in the throttle body for sake of cleaning the back of the valves.
ok how do i check the map sensor

Old 06-22-06, 04:17 AM
have you checked codes in the computer I would suspect the map sensor would set a code and the check engine light would be on if it was causing the problem .
might have the exhuast checked for a restriction catylitic convertor can be clogging up it would cause the plugs to be black and a hesitation or lack of power most noticiable under load you could always pull the o2 sensor and take it for a quick drive to see if it runs any better it will be loud though.

Old 06-22-06, 05:29 AM
the SES does come on but the time i get somewhere to get it checked the light goes off. i dont have the catylitic convertor anymore i just run straight glasspack.

Old 06-22-06, 05:39 AM
I was thinking exhaust for a bit but you said it only dies right when you hit it and then comes back to life, so that ruled out exhaust. If the map sensor has an improper output the ecu won't always catch it, but if the map sensor goes completely it will catch it.

I would be double checking the timing and if every thing is lined up perferect for the timing.
You need a hand vacuum pump and then monitor the signal wire

Old 06-22-06, 08:55 AM
I was thinking exhaust for a bit but you said it only dies right when you hit it and then comes back to life, so that ruled out exhaust. If the map sensor has an improper output the ecu won't always catch it, but if the map sensor goes completely it will catch it.

I would be double checking the timing and if every thing is lined up perferect for the timing.
You need a hand vacuum pump and then monitor the signal wire

Ok Thanks, I'll check the timing again

Old 06-23-06, 03:11 AM
even if the light is off it should have a code stored in the computer if its been on within the last few times its been driven.
plus you can check codes by jumpering the a and b pins of aldl connector and turning the key on so you really dont need to take the car anywhere to check codes just grab a paper clip or jumper wire if there is no codes in it now carry it with you and check next time the light comes on.

Old 06-23-06, 08:34 AM
Originally Posted by bejay
even if the light is off it should have a code stored in the computer if its been on within the last few times its been driven.
plus you can check codes by jumpering the a and b pins of aldl connector and turning the key on so you really dont need to take the car anywhere to check codes just grab a paper clip or jumper wire if there is no codes in it now carry it with you and check next time the light comes on.
i've tried that but it isn't storeing the code. the guy at advance said that whatever code it is, is a softcode not a hardcode

Old 06-25-06, 05:37 PM
well first things first, you do need to check fuel pressure and also monitor sensors that the computer watches with a scan tool, such as map and tps, need to see what the computers seeing to eliminate wheather its engine, tranny, or exhaust, could be as simple as fuel filter.