question when replacing A/C compressor

Old 06-21-06, 10:38 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
question when replacing A/C compressor

2 scnearios

1st- I get the compressor from a junk yard
A. do I replace the oil with the same amount or a little more
B. Do they take the oil out and I have to measure out the amount to put in.

2. I get a reman/new one is there packing oil that needs to be removed and pag oil added. Or do they come completely dry or will there be instructions in the box that say what to do to prep the compressor

Last edited by scalar; 06-21-06 at 11:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-06, 12:02 PM
I would not advise a junkyard compressor. Been there, didnt work out. They are shipped dry, you need to use your own oil. as for the pag oil you mentioned... dont use it, use ester oil. Its much better.

Old 06-21-06, 12:49 PM
This compressor won't be shipped I live in the chicago land area and cars go threw the junk yards so fast that I doubt this was sitting around long. Plus the junk yards out here usually take care of stuff. Also if you get a bad part they warranty it for 30days or something like that.

What happened when you used yours from the junk yard

Old 06-21-06, 09:33 PM
Well, my grandma got her car fixed at a shop and retrofitted to 134a, she didnt drive the car much. after 3-4 uses it gave out, but shop said sorry, its out of the 30 day period. The compressor was a junkyard compressor. I replaced it with a compressor I stripped of a junk car at school, but that only lasted a few weeks. So i ended up getting a new compressor online from a place in arizona for about half the price at murrays/autozone the torque specs in the instructions were wrong and the threads pulled out, so I contacted the company and they sent me and advance replacement, I installed it, and have not had trouble with it since.

Old 06-22-06, 06:25 AM
junk yard my 2 cents.

My 2 cents on junkyard parts is I like them but not all parts.Things like body parts,Trim,glass,small parts like latches etc are good.
They say warranty but if you dump all your freon due to there worn out compressor they wont cover that.
Also you will have to do the job twice.So for that reason I do not get parts such as compressors, or any hydraulic parts and even most electrical parts from junk yards.
I do love going into junkyards were you can pick your own parts

Old 06-22-06, 07:12 AM
I am doing the job myself so I really don't care about dumping the freon it only costs about $16 to refill the system. And yes I have a vacuum pump.

I am thinking I will try my luck.

Old 06-25-06, 05:54 PM
well, i feel the same way about salvage yard parts, theres some you dont want, but that being said if you get a junkyard compressor, drain it, measure what comes out of your old one.
if less than 2 ounces comes out i would put about 4 ounces in. if more than 2 ounces comes out put back in that much. it doesnt matter how much comes out of the junkyard compressor.
pag oil is fine to use. reman compressors will come with instructions. some are shipped dry, some are shipped with oil.
if using a junkyard compressor i would put a good long vaccumm on it to make sure no moisture is there.

Old 06-25-06, 07:13 PM
I accidently clicked the post thingy