AC electrical malfunction??

Old 06-21-06, 01:44 PM
AC electrical malfunction??

I'm back!! 1991 Chevy pick-um-up. AC stopped and "AC" flashes on dash panel. I replaced the high cut out control switch 'cause I have had the same problem before and that was the fix. I put pressure guage on high and low side and got readings of 100 psi on both (AC not running). I checked the main fuse/OK. Thinking low pressure might be the problem, I added about 6 oz of freon to system, but AC would not initialize.

It must be electrical, right?? I looked for a low pressure swith but could not locate it. Any suggestions? Thanx.

Rebel

Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-06, 02:44 AM
its usually due to low freon try disconnecting the battery for about 30 seconds and rehook it up and start vehicle and turn on a/c it will probably engage now but may go back to the same problem if the freon is low and the compressor is cycling off and on alot might want to have guages hooked up to it when you start it up to see the pressures when the compressor engages.

Old 06-26-06, 06:27 AM
Bejay--Right on--Thanx!!

Bejay: You got that one right. I followed your instructions and AC now blows cold. I guess that by disconnecting the battery it reset sompin' cause the compressor kicked in and the freon was low. I added 'bout eight oz freon and pressure is up to snuff.

I am down to one can of R12 and probably have to convert AC system to R134 someday, but am hoping to get more life from system as is.

Thanx much,
BCNU