1994 Toyota Camry brake failure

Old 06-21-06, 03:32 PM
1994 Toyota Camry brake failure

The brake of my trustworthy Camry suddenly failed for no apparent reason. The brake level is normal, I don't see any leaks and somehow I have to push the brake pedal all the way down to the floor to have any braking action. Checked my manual and noticed that the ABS light doesn't turn on when I start the car (but I never noticed that light before, either). The brake light didn't come on until I drove home (gingerly) from work and then restarted it in the driveway and now it stays on. Ny husband also checked the fuse and it works too. Several months ago I had the master cylinder replaced and it had been working very well until now.

Please help!

Jane

Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-06, 04:05 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Check on that brake booster under where the master meats its for fluid dripping. I have seen new master cylinders go not every one is perfect. If there is no fluid on the black bubble where the master cylinder meets it then you probably have a leak else trace down and follow all the brake lines, and take the wheels off so you can check the brakes hoses that attach to the brake calipers, If you have drums in the back pull the drums off and check the wheel cylinders.

If your brake fluid level is normal and you have to push all the way down there must be air in the system that finally worked its way through probably from replacing the master so you will need to rebleed the brakes. If your unlucky with bleeding abs and get the air in the actual abs lines it can work its out and do what its happening.

If you have no idea how to do what I said bring it back to the shop and tell them about the problem it will be a no brainer.

Old 06-21-06, 04:06 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Can you give everyone here a brief history as to how long YOU have owned this car and if anyone has worked on the brakes before/lately?...so we can tell if failure was the result of improper installation?

If you pump on the brake pedal, can you build the pressure back up so the brakes feel hard, at least at first? Ands if you keep pressure applied to the brake pedal does the pedal stay hard, or does it soften and cause your pedal to go more toward the floor?

Old 06-25-06, 11:23 AM
Question Camry brakes that don't

It was a problem with a lack of braking power behind the pedal. We bled. All of the wheels had good pressure of fluid squirting except the rear back. It merely dribbled. The brakes seemed to get up with each wheel bleeding but then in the parking lot check they again vanished. When the rain ends I plan on looking at the back right wheel. What will I look for as far as the air getting in or pressure being absent. The little cylinder is bad maybe - how do I switch it out?

Old 06-25-06, 11:24 AM
Question Camry brakes that don't

It was a problem with a lack of braking power behind the pedal. We bled. All of the wheels had good pressure of fluid squirting except the rear back. It merely dribbled. The brakes seemed to get up with each wheel bleeding but then in the parking lot check they again vanished. When the rain ends I plan on looking at the back right wheel. What will I look for as far as the air getting in or pressure being absent. The little cylinder is bad maybe - how do I switch it out?
her husband

Old 06-25-06, 08:56 PM
Fix it where you say rear back. Do you mean just the rear or do you mean right rear.

There is 2 possibilities if it is just the rear. Your proportioning valve is bad/blocked/corroded or your need a new master cylinder or.

If it is just one back there not bleeding replace the brake hose. When brake hoses age the passage the fluid takes will shrink up.
Even if the wheel cylinder assuming drum back is bad you will still get more than a dribble. Pull the drum off and you will see 2 rubber boots one on each end of the wheel cylinder.(wheel cylinder being the thingy that the brake line connects to) Pull the rubber back with your fingers and see if there is fluid there if there is the wheel cylinder is bad.