Bleeding Brakes on Buick Century

Old 06-22-06, 04:44 AM
Bleeding Brakes on Buick Century

1996 Buick Century. V6
Working on the front brakes. How do you loosen the bleeder? Is there a special tool needed? I subscribed to alldata, but it didn't fully explain how to do it.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-06, 05:04 AM
should just take a wrench or socket and be able to loosen the bleeder its possible they sometimes are so rusted that they break off and may just put new caliper on if that is the case.

Old 06-22-06, 06:44 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You have to be kidding with that question I am going to assume you have no idea where the bleeder is. The bleeder is on the caliper usually near where the hose connects to it. it will stick about a 1/2 inch up and looks like a nipple that may have a rubber cap on it. if you are doing drum breaks the bleeder looks the same but it is on the back of the drum behind the wheel cylinder once again close to where the hose connects to the caliper

Old 06-22-06, 06:44 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You have to be kidding with that question I am going to assume you have no idea where the bleeder is. The bleeder is on the caliper usually near where the hose connects to it. it will stick about a 1/2 inch up and looks like a nipple that may have a rubber cap on it. if you are doing drum breaks the bleeder looks the same but it is on the back of the drum behind the wheel cylinder once again close to where the hose connects to the caliper

Old 06-22-06, 03:53 PM
Originally Posted by scalar
No, I know where it is. It just won't turn. I just wanted to make sure I was using the right tool before I do some kind of damage. If it is the case as someone else suggested that it is frozen, then I need to buy a new one.

Old 06-22-06, 04:14 PM
Use some penatrating oil and let it sit on it, it may take a little force to crack it loose tap the side of the wrench with a hammer till it breaks loose. Let us no if you break it because out of all the brake jobs I have done I have never broke one.

Last edited by hotrodder89; 06-22-06 at 04:24 PM.
Old 06-23-06, 01:10 AM
Yeah, if you use some type of penetrating oil and a good six point wrench/socket it should be fine.

Old 06-23-06, 02:55 AM
use correct tool

Do not use a cresent wrench use a flare nut wrench or the box end of a combination wrench or a socket ( 6point) and use that oil and let it soak.Make sure there is no slop between tool and bleeder or you will round it off.

Old 06-25-06, 06:47 PM
why do you need to open the bleeder? is there air in the system? if not i wouldnt fool with it.