88 ply voyager wont start

Old 06-22-06, 02:47 PM
Unhappy 88 ply voyager wont start

this is stumping three mechanics so i hope smo will help i need my wheels back on the road. i put new starter the starter does not run over it just spins. i put new starter relay and ignition fuses. new alternator new battery cables. when mechanic puts wire from jumper cable to ground only on battery and grounds to auto then it starts but slow. we have tried diff wires and tried to trace grounds but nothing. i have almost changed all wires. one thing is there supose to be three wires on the starter with oine going to the alternator? pls help forgot this is le and 6 cyl. auto.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-06, 03:00 PM
This one isn't that hard either you are not reconnecting all the wires because you accidently pushed one hidden or you have a broken(internal break) wire or the starter you have needs the case grounded.

I will look more up on the starter for your vehicle and get back to you

Its pretty obvious it wasn't the relay

Its missed wired or you have a broken wire and thats why it works when you jumper it out. The answer is on the tip of my tongue I just need to get it in words I have delt with this problem and it was pretty easy.

You have missed wired the guy that hangs off the side of the starter .

What is happening is your not engaging the guy that pops the gear out to the flywheel. So you either have him miswired or there could be a another wire that goes to it that got pushed aside and is hanging there or by moving the wire there is now an internal break in it.

Its probably just cranking over slow when you jumper it because the battery is low from horsing around with it.

If I had to label that thing that hangs off I would call it the pull in coil, with out properly energizing it the starter gear will sit there and spin just like you have.

Last edited by hotrodder89; 06-22-06 at 03:17 PM.
Old 06-22-06, 03:27 PM
My proposed solution would be to look on the starter see if one of terminals is labeled as negative jumper that to ground. jumper the other to the battery and listen for a pop or click. That will be what is not happening with the way you have it wired. Does the pull in have 2 wires or one to it. Remeber the pull in is the little sucker that hangs off to the side of the starter

Old 06-23-06, 07:17 PM
Unhappy wont start

thanks. i have looked at the starter and suspected this but dont know how to correct it. there is a wire on the big bolt that goes to the hot side of the battery and on the little one there is a sort of case with like one wire going tothe neg and like another wire sort of on the side of this little wire case but it goes nowhere. i was wondering if this could be the other ground. i have looked everywhere for a pic and cant find one. will i blow up if i ground it or ruin the starter? ha ha u would think 3 mechanics would have found this by now. i really hate it being a woman with saw dust behind the blonde. ha ha thanks anyway . will try it tomorrow. it has been there for over 2 and a half weeks. even the guy at the dealer said lady i just dont know. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-23-06, 07:36 PM
Wink wont start

i think the thing with the wires is called the selonoid. mine is built in the starter by this i mean it is not one i can buy seperate. it comes as one part.

Old 06-23-06, 08:00 PM
Lightbulb could be the starter selonoid

Yes, I would recommend you change the starter selonoid, that may fix the problem but may not, a good try for not alot of money though, It cant hurt to change it anyway.

Old 06-26-06, 07:01 PM
88 voyager wont start

well i tried 3 new startrers and they wont do nothing either. last night i went up to the garage and put a neg wire on the starter and tried to ground it to the body but it seem to MELT the wires going to the switch fuse. now i got a lot of melted wires and the fuel pump will not turn off. now i got to change all the wires i guess. today they told me to buy a under hood wire harness. will this help or do nothing. is there an inline fuse that might not be good.?this is really getting expensive. every time they look at it i see dollar signs in their eyes. sheezeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.any ideas yet?

Old 06-26-06, 07:15 PM
only idea I think of is get better mechanics this was a simple problem, elementary electrical diagnosis. bring it to a junior college or something where they teach mechanics. None of your problems are difficult to diagnose and fix.