Dead Battery??

Old 06-23-06, 09:53 AM
Post Dead Battery??

Hi,

I have a 1989 7.4L Chevy Suburban and the engine won't turn over. I bought a 12V Battery Recharger from Wal-Mart and it still wouldn't turn over. Is it the battery or is there something else causing it not to start??

Thanks,

sweetboy

Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-06, 10:39 AM
Not much to go on

But it's a place to start. When you turn the key to the "on" position- not the "start" position, but "on"- do the lights turn on, radio come on etc? If the battery has any power it will run the lights and radio; if it's totally dead none of that stuff will work.

Please let us know!

Old 06-23-06, 10:40 AM
First off are you disconnecting the battery cables and then charging it, or are you putting the charger on and then trying to start it.

Next what do you mean by nothing, it cranks, it makes a pop sound, do dash lights still come on, have you checked the fuse for the starter.

Old 06-23-06, 10:46 AM
That guy above beat me posting by a few seconds shucks

Old 06-23-06, 10:59 AM
Following the instructions, I connected the positive clamp to the positive terminal of the battery (with the battery connectors connected).

Then I connected the negative clamp to the metal of the hood (Not the negative terminal of the battery). Then I turned the charger on (After it was fully charged, It took about 24-30 hrs for it to fully charge).

When I turned the ignition, the dash lights barely glowed and the engine barely tried to start. The power locks would not work with the key turned to the 'on' position. I didn't try the radio.

sweetboy

Old 06-23-06, 11:00 AM
Lol!

Hotrod, it's not a race!

But I do have a question about your post: when you ask >or are you putting the charger on and then trying to start it< are you suggesting to sweetboy that he needs to let the battery charge a while, and then crank? That's a good point.

Old 06-23-06, 11:16 AM
Ya with the way he worded it, it appears that he is not disconnecting the cable and letting it charge or he may be thinking he has one of those you can jump start with.

Old 06-23-06, 11:24 AM
Sounds like the battery has gone

Sweetboy: first, a question-
>>Then I connected the negative clamp to the metal of the hood (Not the negative terminal of the battery). << This is the right way to do it, but to get a good electrical connection it must be a bare metal (unpainted, non greasy) part.

If you left it for 24 hours and you still get weak lights the battery may have simply reached the end of its useful life.

Before rushing out to buy a new one, can you borrow a battery that you know is working properly, and connect it to your truck?

Old 06-23-06, 11:29 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Question - how old is the current battery? If it's over four years old or if you can't remember the last time it was replaced, it is time for a new one. Internal shorts or a bad cell can cause the problems you described.

Old 06-23-06, 11:53 AM
I don't know how old the battery is, so as you say, I probably need a new one. Any battery suggestions for a truck with a 454 engine or will anyone do???

Thanks,

sweetboy

Old 06-23-06, 11:55 AM
Go to the parts store and tell them what you have. Energizer and Interstate are the top brands. Prostart and douglas are economies. The life of the battery mainly depends on how well your alternator is working to along with age.

Old 06-23-06, 12:31 PM
Rushing right out!

Just FYI, consumer reports says the "best buy" for type 65 battery (poles located on top, for trucks and SUVs) is the DuraLast from AutoZone.

Old 06-23-06, 04:46 PM
Possibly you have too much corrosion on the terminals and negative cable so that it's not allowing the start and charge.

Old 06-23-06, 08:29 PM
I just bought a new battery and the truck started up fine. Thanks! One more Question, i am low on Engine Coolant, can I use the GM DexCool Antifreeze/Coolant?? Is this considered Engine Coolant?? Can I use this in my Chevy Suburban or is this just for GMs??

Thanks,

sweetboy

Old 06-23-06, 08:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Last I heard, Chevy was still being built by G M. Should work okay as a coolant and antifreeze. Check the label to see if it is premixed or if you need to add water. If it calls for water, a 50 - 50 mix should be good.

Old 06-23-06, 09:16 PM
while you could use it they generaly dont recomend mixing the coolants so if your just topping it off would suggest you just stick with regular antifreeze if thats whats in it now, there really is no advantage to using dexcool it doesnt perform any better than antifreeze in any way.

Old 06-24-06, 08:27 AM
Originally Posted by bejay
while you could use it they generaly dont recomend mixing the coolants so if your just topping it off would suggest you just stick with regular antifreeze if thats whats in it now, there really is no advantage to using dexcool it doesnt perform any better than antifreeze in any way.
Dex-Cool is an extended life coolant and it does perform much better in vehicles that it was installed in at the assembly plant. Do not mix coolant types

Old 06-24-06, 10:45 AM
seeing how it is in an 89 model it wasnt never used in this vehicle.
you certainly have a right to your opinion but most mechanics and alot of gm vehicle owners would probably disagree with you after having to replace clogged heater cores,and radiaters, on vehicles with under 100k miles. not to mention who knows how many engines has been ruined by its ability to mix with oil and just give an appearance of it being overfull.