Used Tires..A good Idea??

Old 06-24-06, 08:47 PM
Post Used Tires..A good Idea??

Hi,

I have an 89 Chevy Suburban that has worn tires, but this truck is seldomly used (maybe 30 miles a week). Would it be a good idea to buy some used tires?? I got a quote for some new ones, $650 installed. Very expensive for me. What do you all suggest??

Thanks,

sweetboy

Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-06, 01:33 AM
my 2 cents

I say yes go for it just make sure they are good and not dry rotted or other problems and the correct size and load rating.

Old 06-25-06, 03:47 AM
My only experience with "Re-Treads" was when I was working highway construction in the mid 80's.
I averaged about two flats a month (sometimes one or two a week) on my work truck.
I think a lot of it was due to the weight I was carrying in the truck...but I think I'd still rather pay a few bucks more and not have to deal with changing tires all the time.

Old 06-25-06, 04:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
There is nothing wrong with buying either used or recap tires. Good tread is always better than a bald tire. Every recap I have ever bought came with a 1 yr 10,000 mile warranty. Used tires should be inspected well before buying [unless you trust the seller]

I wouldn't recomend recaps for sustained hwy driving but they are a good alternative for around town. IMO the biggest reason people have bad expierences with recaps is under inflation. I believe recaps are more susceptable to damage from under inflation. But all tires will hold up longer if properly inflated.

Old 06-25-06, 04:43 AM
I have had no problems with buying used tires. I always get them from a local tire store and in pairs. The store keeps them in sets so you get the same tread design and, bacically, the tires each have the same amount of miles on them.

Old 06-25-06, 05:58 PM
Thanks guys!

sweetboy

Old 06-26-06, 01:37 PM
used tires are also great for burnouts

Old 06-26-06, 02:07 PM
burnouts

Heck with a 89 Sub you will not get a lot of burnouts just a lot of gas going down the TBI. It is not the most fuel effiecent truck to begin with.

Old 06-26-06, 02:09 PM
You want to talk about something even less efficient. Its called a carburated suburban.

With used tires you are just reducing your braking distance when wet, in comparing to new tires.

So have fun.

Old 06-26-06, 02:27 PM
yep

I had a 89 Chevrolet 3/4 ton with the TBI and that was bad enough 13 mpg I can imagine a carb truck with the price of fuel now days and the size of the fuel tank you might have to set up house in it just to make it.
Heck my truck with 3.73 rear end gears, turbo 400 trannie, 5.7L engine could burnout only with wet ground never on a good day from a standstill (to heavy I think at over 5000 lbs).
But it did a good job sucking that big fuel tank dry

Old 06-26-06, 07:13 PM
Originally Posted by sweetboy
Hi,

I have an 89 Chevy Suburban that has worn tires, but this truck is seldomly used (maybe 30 miles a week). Would it be a good idea to buy some used tires?? I got a quote for some new ones, $650 installed. Very expensive for me. What do you all suggest??

Thanks,

sweetboy

Shop around there are some affordable brands out there, it doesn't matter how often you use the truck is all about being safe when using it, especially when braking on rainy days or wet pavement.

Old 06-27-06, 05:20 PM
Wow...you need to shop around more. If you are talking about LT235/75R15 tires...you can get a good set installed for around $380. But i digress, you should feel okay buying used tires...you can find some really nice ones if you shop around (maybe even matching sets even).

Search this Thread