Botched up new a/c compressor

Old 06-25-06, 07:15 PM
Botched up new a/c compressor

I did something similiar to his but I didn't use junk yard parts I got reman.

Now the first car I did was a 97 cavalier. This one I just did the compressor because the seal was leaking. I replaced it with a reman sucked it down held 30" for 7 min refilled it with 4 oz of oil and everything is dandy.

Next vehicle was a 97 roadmaster. Got another $200 reman compressor, and a accumulator and orifice tube. This one I put 6oz in the compressor and 2 in the accumulator. Then I put the compressor in the car and spun the wheel with a ratchet to pump the oil through the compressor. Car held a vacuum.

Next, I charge it as I am charging it my gauges read nothing on the highside of course and the low side starting building pressure from me putting freon in it. Then as I was switching to the next 13oz can of freon I lost all pressure on the low side and the high side had a very low pressure to. So I was like ok I take out the orifice took and the things is loaded with metal.

So, I am wondering did I get a bunk a/c compressor, or did I screw up putting the oil in.

Anyways I am going to claim the pump under warranty, and get a 3rd orifice tube.

Can I just flush the condensor, or do I need to get a new one.

Also the accumulator is new and it looks safe to say all the metal got stopped by the orifice tube, Can I reuse my new accumulator to.

Also the system calls for 9oz total I believe I only had 8.5oz in it. How would you guys add the oil if you were replacing the compressor and accum.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-06, 07:58 PM
if your old compressor was locked up there is a good chance that the metal shavings was from the old compressor you should probably flush the condensor at the very least before attempting to install another compressor, and some recomend replacing the condensor on modern cars as flushing isnt as effective on modern vehicle condensors.
if anything you probably added to much oil generaly you add the exact amount you drain from your old compressor or 2 ounces wich ever is greater dont really think that adding to much oil would of caused metal shavings but it can reduce the system performance if you was replacing every single component of the a/c system then you would add the 9 oz of oil that it calls for.
I usually add about 1 oz and spin the compressor over by hand several times then add another 1oz or more if needed and install. you may also want to install a filter screen in the suction port of the compresssor this will help keep from damaging the new compressor if there is still some metal shavings in the system.

Old 06-25-06, 08:19 PM
I tried flushing the condensor, still no luck getting pressure. Every one tries to make out to be some big thing to put in the correct amount of oil. And every one says put in the amount it calls for. I figured since I was replacing the accum and compressor I would put the full amount.

The compressors never locked up even the old one. The clutch can still engage and they will spin with out super loud noises or clanking.

You think I can atleast flush the evaporator.

Old 06-25-06, 09:51 PM
the system holds that much keeping in mind there is oil in the evaporator and condensor and hoses.
not sure what your reffering to getting pressure wouldnt expect much if any low side pressure with one can of freon in the system usually when you are filling the system and adding freon you are reading the pressure in the can anyway not actual low side pressure, when your not filling you can get an accurate reading of the low side pressure, but it could very well be a vacum if there is very little freon in the system from the suction of the compressor.

Old 06-26-06, 05:36 AM
I would turn the manifold off occasionally when filling which would make it read the low side pressure. And I was monitoring the high side to.

Plus when filling it the compressor would kick and off right away as if the system was way over charged. I know it wasn't because I only had 1lb in it and the system holds 1.75lbs total

Old 06-26-06, 10:01 AM
it should cycle on and off until you get more freon in the system the low pressure switch will cycle it on and off the high pressure switch would have to be reading 350 psi to 400 psi before it would cause the compressor to cycle.