bad valve guide??

Old 06-26-06, 06:28 AM
bad valve guide??

At 60k miles, I changed my first set of spark plugs in a 2.0 VW 8v engine. Then at about 98k, one of the plugs was fouled with oil, which caused me to fail emissions but I took care of that problem. Now, only 10k miles later, I lost one of my cylinders on the highway. I had a hunch it was the same plug/cylinder, so I swapped it out - and the car ran at 100% power on all 4 cylinder - no misfires or anything.

This begs the question: I went almost 40K before the problem showed up, and then it happened at 10K miles later. So something is getting worse. What's the root cause??

I've read either the rings in that cylinder might be bad, or the valve guides/seals are bad.

My plan is to run this car into the ground ('00 Jetta), and this is the first sign of a real engine problem. If I have to change a spark plug every 10K miles, that's only $20-30/year, which is probably a lot cheaper than really fixing the valve guides or getting new rings.

What do you guys think?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-06, 09:09 AM
Here is what I would do if I were you.

2000 anything is a nice car someday I will be able to afford something newer than a 90 someday and I can stop fixing cars.

I would do a compression test on the motor. Then I would do a leak down test. See where I stand. Then if those tests look good I would replace the head. I am sure you can get one for under 1k$ A head on a 4 cyl is really easy to do and I would consider it not that big of a job if you have a little experience with cars.

Either way if you pay some one to do it or not the car is still worth saving. If it is not worth it to you it would be to me.

Old 06-26-06, 10:31 AM
if you are going to continue to drive it without having it repaired suggest you run some engine cleaner in the gas tank every once in a while and just replace the plugs as needed.
and you might consider trading it off incase its something more serious than a valve guide or seal.

Old 06-26-06, 10:40 AM
Also if you are going to neglect it use the heaviest motor oil the manual says the motor can use.

Also you can replace the plug go to the dealer and trade it in for a vehicle that is only a thousand more with out a bad valve guide. Just be sure you don't tell them about the valve guide.

don't feel bad about it either dealers pass crap cars on people all the time your just returning the favor.

Old 06-26-06, 10:55 AM
It's a tough problem - I've taken pretty good care of it, and I'm an easy driver, but it's costing more than $1000k maintenance per year. I've already reached that this year with a new timing belt/ water pump/ oil pan (don't ask).

Sometime in the next few months I'm due for:
  • breaks (full flush, hopefully not new rotors)
  • clutch
  • tires

There's minor stuff here and there that I could fix too (busted sunroof, new shocks, oh - my windshield was cracked by a rock on the highway last week too ).

Sometimes I feel like just buying a beater every year or two is a better choice for the wallet. I know this - I am never buying a new car again.

Old 06-26-06, 11:30 AM
Join the buy a used car club and replace all the typical stuff.

brakes, shocks, alternator, water pump, all filters, fuel injection service with throttle body clean up, tune up, maybe ball joints, belts, change all fluids, tires, fix all vacuum leaks, and tires.

And for a thousand in parts you will have a used car that is just as good as any new car. even people with cars that have 50k miles don't have good struts, and to top it off all the parts will be under a lifetime warranty usually to.

so all you really need to do when buying a used car this way is make sure the body and frame isn't rusted to hell and that the motor has good compression and the transmission shifts fine.

Instead of buying a used car that is at the max of your budget buy one that is a 1000-1500 less and replace all those parts and you will have a much more reliable vehicle