Oil in tires via air compressor?

Old 06-28-06, 11:13 AM
What the?
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by michael van
Not only real portable from truck to trail or anyplace but cheap and reliable.
You could even weld on a hose reel a small 3hp brigs is all you need.
Add a generator head to it:
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...70_21008_21008

Move the belt, and now it's dual purpose.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-06, 11:19 AM
yep

yep you got a good idea there a real trail tool all your buddies will want one in the back of there rig

Old 06-28-06, 12:02 PM
JHP
I know this thread has started to move off in another direction but one poster said I should keep the compressor running while I put in air and another said I could fill the tank then just walk the unit out to the vehicle location and use the stowed air to bring the tires up to the proper pressure.

Can I do either?

Thanks.

Old 06-28-06, 12:09 PM
yes sir

yes you can do either as long as your pressure guage does not go below the pressure you are trying to achieve.

Old 06-28-06, 12:13 PM
Sorry this got off track. I didn't see it untill now and I can go back and kill all the off topic comments if you like.

It depends on how much air your tires will need. I plug mine in and pull the hose out to the vehicle. 50' hose has its benefits. But just taking the tank out full will work for just topping off a few pounds here and there.

**NOTE FROM MODERATOR: If you guys want to continue your conversation please start a thread in Chats and Whines. That's the place for those conversations, not in someone elses thread.

Thanks.

Old 06-28-06, 12:43 PM
JHP
Originally Posted by michael van
yes you can do either as long as your pressure guage does not go below the pressure you are trying to achieve.
Thanks for that info. Just one more question. I believe my compressor is rated to 125. Maybe more. But either way, if I have less pressure in it than the tire requires and the hose is attached to the valve, will the tire lose air or just not receive any more? Example. Say I am putting air into a 32 PSI tire with the compressor not plugged in and the pump pressure falls below that while I am putting in air. Will I lose air from the tire?

Old 06-28-06, 12:45 PM
What the?
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by JHP
I know this thread has started to move off in another direction but one poster said I should keep the compressor running while I put in air and another said I could fill the tank then just walk the unit out to the vehicle location and use the stowed air to bring the tires up to the proper pressure.

Can I do either?

Thanks.
I agree, either way is fine. But tires contain quite a bit of air, and your 3 gallon tank will empty pretty quick. Your best bet is to keep the compressor running, it will shut off automatically if the tank gets fully pressurized (while you're walking from one tire to the next).

Old 06-28-06, 12:48 PM
What the?
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by JHP
Thanks for that info. Just one more question. I believe my compressor is rated to 125. Maybe more. But either way, if I have less pressure in it than the tire requires and the hose is attached to the valve, will the tire lose air or just not receive any more? Example. Say I am putting air into a 32 PSI tire with the compressor not plugged in and the pump pressure falls below that while I am putting in air. Will I lose air from the tire?
A non-plugged in compressor will not fall below 32 psi when you are filling up a 32 psi tire. It will balance out at 32 psi for both.

If the tank was empty at first, then you tried to fill up a 32psi tire with it, yes, the tire could lose air unless you have a check valve (one-way valve) on the compressor.

Old 06-28-06, 12:49 PM
a little

If you run compressor tank to 0 psi or less then tire pressure and it is not pluged in to start motor you will lose some air from tire as it goes into tank.
The pressures will then equalize and no more will come out.
Just keep it full and you will not have any problems.
You can top off many tires before it runs out.

On a side note as your tank pressure drops you will notice it takes longer to fill your tire

Old 06-28-06, 02:34 PM
JHP
OK. That's about it. Thanks to all who educated me on what is, I am sure, a rather simplistic topic to the responders

Old 06-29-06, 04:52 AM
Originally Posted by marksr
Pendragon

Did we live in the same fla? With the humidity my little sears 1hp 12 gal would produce about a 1/2 cup during a days worth of use. Not near that bad since I moved to tn.
My compressor is inside a heated/cooled space, so humidity hovers around 40% compared to the usual 80-90 outside.

Search this Thread