Back up light's won't work.

Old 06-26-06, 02:52 PM
sjd441
Visiting Guest
Back up light's won't work.

I have a 1992 Dodge dakota 3.9L 4X4 and I'm at my witts end. The back up lights don't work. I have checked all the wires and sockets and find no problems. Bulbs are good. i just replaced the neutral/safety and back up light swith and still nothing. I do have problems w/the truck not going all the way into park. and have to slam it in so it will start but I'm not sure if there is an easy way to check the gear linkage. Can any one help me, I can't take much more of this!!!!
Thanks in advance,
Shawn

Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-06, 02:54 PM
Have you looked on the side of the transmission for a linkage adjustment. It is usually there to adjust the linkage.

Old 06-26-06, 03:02 PM
sjd441
Visiting Guest
Yea, it is there but i'm not sure exactly what to do. Is there anything else you think it could be, or do you also believe it the linkage due to the grear shifting problems.

Old 06-26-06, 03:03 PM
sjd441
Visiting Guest
I have to leave but will check back later, thanks for the help!!

Old 06-26-06, 03:41 PM
You could disconnect the linkage and try shifting it to see if your shifting column is botched up or if you just needed to adjust the linkage a bit.

Old 06-26-06, 07:30 PM
sjd441
Visiting Guest
Am I wrong or could that cause the back up lights not to work?

Old 06-26-06, 07:35 PM
It could be possible but I would have put bets on the switch that controls the lights. I am not sure of the electrical layout of that circuit but there could be a relay to on your vehicle.

Also you having to jam it into park is point out a problem to since the shifter may not be lined up where it was before when in reverse.

one thing I would do is have some one stand behind the car and you slowly move the shifter down to see if there is a spot at wich the lights do come on.

Old 06-26-06, 08:37 PM
sjd441
Visiting Guest
Ya, I tried that and couldn't get the lights to go on. I really appreciate the help. I look into the possibilty of a relay swith, but I think your right it's the linkage.
Thank you very much.

Old 06-26-06, 09:02 PM
I wouldn't go saying its in the linkage right away if you can't get them on but with getting in park problem would point to it. Obviously there is a switch detecting the position of the shifter. I don't have the documents to your vehicle to look off and have never had to tear into a dakota to fix this type of problem, only on other cars I have had to do this.

On the other cars there is usually built in the neutral safety switch sometimes a devicethat just has a bunch of contacts in it to essentially tell the vehicle where the gear selector is.

My recommendation would be to get a chiltons manual for the vehicle they are the best for electrical schematics, and are usually about $15-20. Don't get the haynes manual they will be useless. Or you can pay for the information on line from all data which will give access for around $20 I think for one vehicle, All data is the same place mechanics get their information they look up at many shops, but they have acces to every thing in all data not just one vehicles stuff.

Or some with access to all data could look up the reverse circuitry.

Old 06-26-06, 09:32 PM
sjd441
Visiting Guest
Thanks again for the help, you've been great beyond words!!!!

Old 06-27-06, 05:13 AM
Try remove the back up light switch off the trans, plug it back in the connector, turn the key to on(engine off), try to ground the switch with a jumper and press on the ball at the switch and see if the back up light works, if they work, your electrical system is OK and the problem is either the linkage and or shift leveler on the valve body.

Disconnect the shift linkage at the trans and move the shifter thru all gear position and see if there's any binding on it travel (probably not), if the shifter moves freely, the problem is now on the valve body.

If pressing the (removed) switch with key on engine off and the lights is stills not working, check fuse first, then check power and ground at switch and the output at switch when pressed, if all signal are good at switch the use a volt/omh meter check for broken wire from switch back to back up lights, there's no relay on that system.

Hope it help.

Search this Thread