'89 Jimmy Won't Start

Old 06-26-06, 06:41 PM
'89 Jimmy Won't Start

1989 GMC S15 Jimmy 4.3L

It will turn over, but it won't start up. I sprayed some starter fluid on there, saw the sparks working, and I'm pretty sure gas is getting to it.

Where do I start?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-06, 06:51 PM
Is this carb or fuel injected.

I am not sure when they switched to fi

Old 06-27-06, 02:44 AM
start with just basic checks like is it getting spark to the spark plug, is it getting fuel if throttle body injected you can usually see the injectors spray fuel if you remove the air cleaner if cpi you just need to check injector pulse and fuel pressure to determine if its getting fuel. does it run on starting fluid for a second if sprayed down the intake?

Old 06-27-06, 10:28 AM
Nope, it doesn't start up, not even for a second after spraying fluid on it. The sparks work.

It's throttle body injection... I'll go check and see if the injectors are spraying.

Old 06-27-06, 04:53 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by MyJimmyWontWork
The sparks work.
For every cylinder?..so one knows your rotor is turning?

Old 06-27-06, 08:45 PM
Ya he is with holding info, also if you are using starting fluid keep your head out from under the head when starting, especially if you have someone else cranking as you spray

Old 06-29-06, 12:43 PM
I know the sparks and fuel are good. All new plugs and I saw the injectors spraying.

It feels like I have enough compression, but I'm not 100% sure because I don't have access to a gauge at the moment.

I wanted to see if there was something I was missing before I got around to the timing chain. I bought it dirt cheap, pretty much knowing I was going to have to swap the engine at the price I got it at, but I was hoping that I could do a little tweaking to get it running. I guess I was hoping for a miracle by getting a reply from someone here who had experience with this model, and could tell me what usually goes out on these engines first, even though I know miracle fixes like that don't usually happen.

Old 06-29-06, 12:54 PM
seeing how you bought the vehicle without it running it could be anything a compression check would probably be a good place to start if its low add some oil to the cylinders to see if it comes up.
how about checking the gas take a sample and leave it in a clear container for awhile and check for seperation could be bad fuel.
and might as well bring it up to tdc on the compression stroke and pull the distributer cap to make sure the rotor is pointing the right direction toward number one.