Air Condition not cool enough

Old 06-27-06, 11:27 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Air Condition not cool enough

My 1989 Volvo 740 GLE 241k AC is not cooling enough what I should check if the Freon is low is there any way I can add if there is any kind or small pressurized can available for it some how i think it should be If any body know about it Thankyou

Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-06, 11:30 AM
with out a sect 609 its going to be hard to come by r12 and if you do you will get raped. You also need a epa sect 609 to get 414b

You will probably want to retrofit the system the r134 (needs compressor oil changed to be done right) or 414b (hot shot) which will get colder than R12 and does not require an oil change in the air conditioning system.

you can google sect 609 and find the test online its open pdf and multi choice. It costs $25.

Old 06-27-06, 11:33 AM
Are you R12 or R134 right now

Old 06-27-06, 12:39 PM
I think it is R12 because it is old system

Old 06-27-06, 12:51 PM
Well that will be retrofitted if it is ever serviced. So it boils down to how much money is A/C worth to you.

Old 06-27-06, 03:49 PM
A/C Serviced Recently?

Last year I had my mechanic add Freon and when I mentioned to him this year that the A/C wasn't cool enough, he said that he was having a lot of complaints about the new chemical that has replaced Freon for environmental reasons. This is a great mechanic who has done very well by us.

Old 06-27-06, 05:10 PM
And he is right r134 sucks for a system designed for r12. R414B would be the suggested replacement when you look at performance, When you look at patents r134 is the suggested replacement. Also he will not be able to recover r414b but he can evacaute the system of R12 and replace it with 414B when retrofitting. You just have to convince him to get 414B

Old 06-28-06, 05:17 AM
With a little asking around, you probably would be able to locate a shade tree mechanic with a little bit of R12 left over. I have several cans plus about 1/2 of a 30# cylinder. These are just left from when I serviced my own vehicles.

Old 06-30-06, 11:59 AM
one more thing I notice that the compressor clutch is not engaging, is there any cut out switch for low pressure or the relay is gone how could i check them. or is it locked I read somewhere that if i disconnect the battery for 30 sec then it will reset is I did that but negative. Help me Thankyou very much

Old 06-30-06, 01:30 PM
R-12 is almost as cheap as 134a, there is little call for it now, they are trying to get what they can out of it now before nobody wants it. Even 134a will be on the way out in a few years, European Union has outlawed it as of 2011.

Old 06-30-06, 05:03 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
The compressor is protecting itself. It has no freon to compress. go to your local autozone or whomever and buy a conversion kit for about $35 and convert the system it comes with instructions. When you buy the conversion kit you can buy some sealant for about $10-12, you obviously have a leak. you will have about $50 invested. You are wasting your time and money with freon. If it doesn't cool as well a freon turn it on high. Have a nice day. Geo

Old 06-30-06, 07:03 PM
First of all, A/C work is not DIY work unless you are very knowledgeable about the system, and if the poster were, he wouldnt be here asking these questions. A/C systems are under high pressures and you can be injured or even killed if you dont know what you are doing.
I do not recommend retrofitting your car to R134a just yet. If you have a leak, then it might be feasible, but it can be much more expensive in the long run to do so. There is a product on the market that we use called Freeze 12. It is compatible with R12 and works just as well. The great thing about it is that you dont need the EPA's permission to purchase it, and its fairly cheap.
I highly recommend if you are going to do A/C work yourself then you should have a few tools to do it right and be safe doing it. You need a manifold gage set and the adapters necessary to connect them, a vacuum pump, and a method of injecting dye into your system. These items can be purchased without spending an arm and a leg.
Once you get to this point you will need to take some readings and let us know what they are and we can help you further.
The first thing you should do is check to see if there is freon in the system. This is a simple task. Take a small screwdriver and lightly push in on one of the service ports shrader valve. If you get an oily substance then you have at least some charge and it hasnt leaked out completely. Here the best thing to do is pull it all out and recharge completely. This way you know you have a full charge and can do some proper diagnosis from there. Since you are sure that it is actually R12 in your system you should know that it is illegal to release it into the atmosphere so it would be highly recommended to take it to a reputable A/C shop to have the evac and recharge procedure performed.
let us know what you come up with.
Hope this has been helpful to ya,
Billy

Old 07-01-06, 01:57 PM
Originally Posted by geogrubb
The compressor is protecting itself. It has no freon to compress. go to your local autozone or whomever and buy a conversion kit for about $35 and convert the system it comes with instructions. When you buy the conversion kit you can buy some sealant for about $10-12, you obviously have a leak. you will have about $50 invested. You are wasting your time and money with freon. If it doesn't cool as well a freon turn it on high. Have a nice day. Geo
In the A/C forums the kits with sealant are call death kits, wonder why.

Old 07-01-06, 03:21 PM
slls..... I wasnt even going to go there. I would never recommend someone use a sealer in an A/C system so I didnt even acknowledge the suggestion.
Billy

Old 07-01-06, 05:51 PM
I agree, if you got a leak, fix it right. Unless you are planning on getting rid of the car within the next month or so.