Starting problems on a 2000 Saturn SL

Old 06-27-06, 01:09 PM
Starting problems on a 2000 Saturn SL

I have an intermittent problem hot or cold, the engine won't start unless the gas pedal is to the floor, then after a few seconds it runs fine. The car has 33,000 miles on it.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-06, 01:11 PM
Try turning the key to the on position and waiting about 5 sec before starting. see if that works. Then get back to us.

Old 06-27-06, 04:52 PM
Is the check engine light on? If it is then go to one of your local auto parts stores and have them pull the code for free. That's the best place to start. Most modern cars these days have excellent onboard diagnostic capabilities...

Old 06-27-06, 07:17 PM
The check engine is not on, I pulled the plugs and they were black so I think I'm getting too much gas.

Old 06-27-06, 07:27 PM
Allow me to explain the 5 sec thing, see when you turn your vehicle off the fuel pressure is supposed to be held around 40psi. If the pressure is not held at 40psi the vehicle will take longer to start. Some vehicles have a valve that locks the return so that pressure is held. By turning the key to on you are allowing the pump to build pressure for sure first before you go cranking away. Since hot or cold doesn't matter this draws suspicion to this. A pump leaking pressure back can also cause longer cranking time.

So ya thanks for responding to my simple test, and black plugs don't mean nothing other than they are used,

Are these plugs dripping with gas.

So I will let you go at this problem with a bigger hammer.

Last edited by hotrodder89; 06-27-06 at 08:22 PM.
Old 06-28-06, 02:47 AM
black plugs are an indication of it running rich even plugs with 100,000 miles on them should still be fairly clean.
suggest you see a shop so sensor data can be scanned and a fuel pressure test ran to see if an injector or regulator is leaking.

Old 06-28-06, 05:41 AM
black plugs to him may not be as black to me. Unless he compared those to a picture, I wouldn't take it for what he says. Unless they are gas soaked I wouldn't worry about it. That won't be the cause of his starting problem.

Also just starting rich will not cause black plugs. He will have to have it scanned if these plugs are so called black, and not experiencing normally color darkening.

Old 06-28-06, 07:44 AM
They were soaked with gas, I'll have my daughter try the 5 second delay.

Old 06-28-06, 08:32 PM
if you have access to one, you should use a scanner check the ECT(engine coolant temperature) sensor reading when hot and cold. if the reading is too low, it will dump way too much gas and make it very hard to start. what does the temp guage on the dash say?

Search this Thread