1988 Ford F150, will not engage reverse

Old 06-27-06, 07:03 PM
1988 Ford F150, will not engage reverse

I have an "88" Ford F150, 4.9L Eng. 4sp W/OD Transmission, Hyd, clutch. Just today i got in and when I went to put it in reverse it would just grind and if it do go in it just jumped back out. It has grinded a few times before but for a only a second and then engaged. I`ve had the truck around 4 years and have change the (Auto) transmission fluid twice, once just recently.
NOTE: Since I`ve had it I`ve never been able to get it into O/D.(not that I ever needed it)
If that tells you anything .
Any ideas of this problem will be much appreciated.
Mike

Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-06, 07:46 PM
Ummm.... Your post is kind of contradictory.... You say you have a hydraulic clutch, but then you say you have changed the automatic trans fluid.....
Which is it? Is it Manual or automatic?
Thanks,
Billy

Old 06-27-06, 08:31 PM
The post is pretty clear, some manual transmissions use automatic fluid in them. I would need to see diagram of his transmission to better help him.

Old 06-27-06, 08:36 PM
nap
I own a '98 F150, manual trans. It uses auto trans fluid in the tranny and it does have a hydraulic clutch.

Old 06-28-06, 07:32 AM
If the other gears are working correctly I would suspect internal transmission problems as opposed to a problem with your clutch. Still you might make sure your clutch resivoir is full and there are no leaks from the clutch master/slave cylinder. Sounds though as if you might be having to get the transmission overhauled...sorry.

Old 06-28-06, 11:27 PM
This is a Standard 5sp overdrive with a Hydraulic clutch, Automatic transmission fluid is use in this instead grease.
Mazda 5OD, Yes Mazda trans, on a Ford.

Old 06-29-06, 12:03 AM
There`s a break down of it in the Clinton 87-88 Bronco and F150
It shifts very smooth into all forward gears.
My wife is Bi-polar and in an episode. I just found out that she took the truck out late that night and was ramming the gears because she was pissed off at the world.
I also noticed that this trans, has separate forks for each speed.
Her outrage may have damaged the reverse fork in some way. I`ll have to take it in (as much as I hate to) and have it checked out.
My wife can get very violent and destructive when she`s in these episodes.
Thanks a lot for your help

Old 06-29-06, 07:04 PM
Im well aware that some manual transmissions use ATF instead of gear oil. I was intending to clarify.
It sounds like there is internal damage. If you drain the fluid into a clean container maybe you can see if there are shiny pieces or other tell tale signs of failure.
Good Luck with it,
Billy

Old 06-29-06, 07:28 PM
nap
Originally Posted by billys68ss
Ummm.... Your post is kind of contradictory.... You say you have a hydraulic clutch, but then you say you have changed the automatic trans fluid.....
Which is it? Is it Manual or automatic?
Thanks,
Billy
In this post it sounded as if you were questioning the fact that the of a manual trans using ATF. I think (I know for me) the others were just letting those who are unaware that some manual trans use ATF.

That;s all.