Brake lights

Old 06-27-06, 11:51 PM
Brake lights

Hello,

I have 2000,3.1, Chev , Malibu
Problem....
Right side of brake light does not come on when I press the brake paddle, I have install new light bulbs( thinking that light bulb might have burnt off ) but when I press the break paddle the light go "deam" instead of "bright "
How can I repair this ?and what instrument do I need to Check ?
I will appreciate any help

Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-06, 02:51 AM
does the light work but its just dim or not bright or does it not work at all how about all the other lights tail and turn do they appear to be working ok?

Old 06-28-06, 05:44 AM
are you saying the light comes on dim, you probably got the wrong bulb. You should check the number written on the bulb on the other side of the car, also clean any corrosion out of he bottom of the socket with a screw driver.

Old 06-28-06, 08:41 AM
Brake light

Originally Posted by bejay
does the light work but its just dim or not bright or does it not work at all how about all the other lights tail and turn do they appear to be working ok?
Thanks

Light works, when you press the brake it goes "deam " also since the brake light stop working, left turn signal also shows different frequeny of clicking ( slow ) all other light are ok

Any ideas ?

Old 06-28-06, 08:43 AM
brake light

Originally Posted by hotrodder89
are you saying the light comes on dim, you probably got the wrong bulb. You should check the number written on the bulb on the other side of the car, also clean any corrosion out of he bottom of the socket with a screw driver.
Thanks,
I have check the old bulbs nothing wrong also I have tried with brand new bulbs but situation is the same

Any suggestion ?

Old 06-28-06, 08:52 AM
did you check the NUMBER on the old bulb, not if it was good. If you can't read the number put a new bulb in where the old one was see it that affects the brightness.

People almost always put the wrong bulbs in when replacing

Old 06-28-06, 08:58 AM
Originally Posted by hotrodder89
did you check the NUMBER on the old bulb, not if it was good. If you can't read the number put a new bulb in where the old one was see it that affects the brightness.

People almost always put the wrong bulbs in when replacing
Yes I did , before replacing the old bulb, when I open the plastaic covers , I checked the bulbs, they were not burnt, but still I replaced with new ones and its doing the same thing

Old 06-28-06, 09:22 AM
You want to trace down the ground wire it probably is corroded or got knocked loose ifin the trunk

Old 06-28-06, 07:37 PM
I would suspect that there is a problem in the circuit board...either where the socket for the bulb connects to the board or where the harness connector connects to the board. Is there by chance a screw holding the socket to the to board? If so, tighten the screw...you may not be getting a good solid connection. Those screws have a tendency to come loose just slightly.