2002 Ford Focus Oil Leak

Old 06-29-06, 01:34 PM
2002 Ford Focus Oil Leak

I have a 2002 Ford Focus wagon. 64,000miles. I had the oil changed a couple hundred miles ago. I just noticed I have an oil leak coming from around the oil pan somewhere. I checked the oil plug and it's tight. I checked the oil and found out it's overfilled by what looks like at least half a quart. I have not taken it back to the dealer I had the oil changed at yet, and was looking for a little knowledge before I go there. Could the overfilling be the problem or have caused a seal to be leaking? I haven't gone completely under the car to see exactly where the leak is, but the back side of the oil pan is wet.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-06, 01:35 PM
A half quart is not going to cause a leak. Looks like if its that big of a deal you should change your oil pan gasket.

If its under warranty I would bring the oil level down to par because if you get a stupid mechanic they say some stupid crap like it was a half quart over and try to void the warranty. I have seen some pretty sneaky stuff at dealerships to get out of the warranty clause. The best one is normal wear and tear. Such as an aged gasket in your case. Usually they pull the normal wear and tear when it comes to getting out of warranting engines. Because its hard to define what is normal wear and tear with out a lawyer and judge (essentially any part that fails would fail because of wear and tear whatis normal for one may not be normal for another), and with small jobs they usually do it because no one persues it. Also if there is any modifications such as after market cold air intake you would want to take that off to, anything aftermarket that would tie into the vacuum system they can blame on higher crankcase pressures to even if it doesn't.

Old 06-29-06, 04:43 PM
Is it wet ABOVE the pan? If so, then the oil leak is somewhere up higher and just running down on the pan. There's plenty of places you could be leaking (oil pressure sending unit, valve cover gaskets, rear main crankshaft seal, etc.).

1/2 is not going to cause a leak so don't blame the place that changed the oil. At 64,000 miles it's not unusual at all to have developed an oil leak.

Old 06-29-06, 06:38 PM
My thoughts..... If you are just noticing the oil since the last oil change, then I would suspect a sloppy job by the lube guy. The oil filter on that one will make a mess and if it isnt cleaned up then its possible for it to look like a leak has developed. I have actually seen this many times when we get customers bring their car in for a leak just to find out that the local quick lube place just made a mess. Its not at all uncommon. If you took it to the dealer for the LOF then you should take it back and same shame shame..... but be nice.... LOL. We arent perfect either.
Hope this is helpful to ya,
Billy

Old 06-29-06, 07:28 PM
Doubt it because the oil change was done a few hundred miles ago he would have noticed it much sooner.

Old 06-29-06, 09:34 PM
Originally Posted by hotrodder89
I have seen some pretty sneaky stuff at dealerships to get out of the warranty clause.
On a quick note, dealerships don't do warranty work for free they charge the manufacturer directly.
This car is obviously out of factory warranty.

Old 06-30-06, 10:18 AM
Originally Posted by LouBazooka
On a quick note, dealerships don't do warranty work for free they charge the manufacturer directly.
This car is obviously out of factory warranty.
Ya and I have worked at dealerships they take it personally, plus at some places mechanics get half labor warranty work.

They could have an extended warranty.