1995 silverado temperature gauge

Old 06-29-06, 10:35 PM
Question 1995 silverado temperature gauge

My 1995 silverado coolant temperature gauge seem's to not be working.My truck overheated awhile ago.Is there a way to troubleshoot this problem.I have tried the tests in the hayes manual.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-06, 05:45 AM
Well your first problem is your using a haynes manual. If your gonna use a manual use a chiltons. Since the age of the truck I would do a thermostat, temperature sensor, and radiator cap. Next, if you have an electric fan watch it while in and see if it turn on. If you have a manual clutch fan spin it to see if it is tight.

If you have the RED GM coolant your radiator more than likely needs to be replaced look in the radiator tanks for the red death cloggage, and flush the system and put the green coolant or yellow coolant. That red stuff destroys your cooling system quick, there is a class action suit people are trying to bring against GM for the read coolant.

Old 06-30-06, 07:36 AM
Originally Posted by smitty4165
My 1995 silverado coolant temperature gauge seem's to not be working.My truck overheated awhile ago.Is there a way to troubleshoot this problem.I have tried the tests in the hayes manual.

do you get a reading on the dashboard ? did you find cause of overheating awhile ago ?

Old 06-30-06, 11:03 AM
I remember this exact question on an ASE test if the digital dash doesn't light up right when you turn the vehicle on replace it. lol

I have seen this exact problem before exactly how you stated, we fixed it by getting rid of the truck. So it is a common issue if that makes you fuel better.

Old 06-30-06, 07:18 PM
What does the gage show when you are sure that the engine is up to operating temp? This vehicle should have a clutch fan rather than an electric fan. Check the fan when the engine is cold and then check it again when it is hot. Turn the fan by hand (with the engine off). When the engine is cold the fan should turn fairly easy. When it is hot the fan should have a fair amount of resistence. Do you still have the overheating issue? What did you do to fix this? Or was it a one time thing?
I do not recommend replacing the Dexcool in your system (if thats what you have) with the green. There will still be some inside the engine, heater core and so forth that can still cause potential problems when mixed. It is best to put back in what the OE recommends.
This could be as simple as a bad sending unit, but im not betting on it. Especially since you have had an overheat condition at least once.
Hope this helps ya,
Billy