99 Mercury Poblem

Old 06-30-06, 10:03 AM
99 Mercury Poblem

I ahve a 99 Mercury Mystique with a 2.0L. It starts hard and will only idle for about 30 seconds, then stall. On the advice of a repair shop I replaced the catalytic convertor, no help. I have also replaced the plugs, wires, fuel filter, ran resistance checks on crank and cam sensors, ran fuel pressure check and replaced temp sensors. this is crazy and expensive! Any suggestions? I am wondering about the idle air control. Please help if you can!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-06, 10:08 AM
Clean the throttle body and idle air controller, fuel injection service, and do an intense investigation for a vacuum leaks

Idle air controls get a lot of stuff built up on them so it blocks the passage you should clean that. It will be on the throttle body. It should be only 1 or 2 screws hold it on, and there is an o-ring that you may want to replace on it.

Old 06-30-06, 10:31 PM
Check engine light on?

Old 07-01-06, 08:08 AM
No, no check engine light. I am going to check out the intake and throttle body gaskets next.

Old 07-01-06, 09:18 AM
nap
Other things that may help with advice;

does it run if you run it above idle?
If so, is it rough or normal?

Will it restart immediately? Hard or easy(er)?

Have you pulled any codes from the computer? If so, what are they?

IAC's aren't usually that expensive especially since you have already replaced. You might consider simply replacing this if you cannot do a comp scan.

Old 07-01-06, 10:06 AM
Yes, if you hold it above idle it will run. It seems to run normal then. There have been no codes.

Old 07-08-06, 04:16 AM
Still trying. Checked fuel pressure that is fine. Was told it could be a plugged spot in mass air flow sensor. They said this was a normal thing for this vehicle? Does this sound right?