fuel filter question

Old 07-03-06, 11:31 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
fuel filter question

I have an 02 impala with 127 000 km on it just wondering if anyone knows whether it is time to change out the in line fuel filter and if there are any ramifications to doing so being that it a fuel injected car???

Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-06, 01:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
IT IS PAST TIME!!

I'm not familiar with bow ties but usually you relieve the pressure prior to replacing the filter. If you don't gas will likely spray as it is first removed - no biggie unless there is hot exhaust close by After replacing turning on the ignition will replace the fuel and pressure in the line.

Old 07-03-06, 05:00 PM
fuel filter should be under the rear passenger seating area tied to the frame under the vehicle

Old 07-04-06, 12:31 PM
Wow...I don't convert from metric too well...but that's a ton of miles. Chevrolet has no service interval for replacing their filter...only to replace it when restricted. However, it's a good bet that after that many miles you are suffering from some level of restriction. I personally recommend replacing fuel filters around every 35,000 miles as part of routine maintenance. This web site has a nice summary of the benefits of fuel filter replacement:

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...lter_Swap.aspx

Make sure you relieve fuel pressure before replacing your filter:

1. Disconnect the negative battery terminal
2. Remove the gas cap to relieve fuel tank vapor pressure
3. Wrap a shop rag around the fuel pressure test port on the engine near the fuel injector rails and depress the valve to relieve pressure. (There's acutally a tool to do this that has a bleed hose on it but I'm assuming you don't have one...a shop rag will have to do.)