f-150 problems

Old 07-03-06, 07:40 PM
f-150 problems

I just bought a 1997 F-150 not to long ago and when i start it I have to hold the key for like 3 seconds to get it started it spits and bogs does any one know what could be wrong with it?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-06, 03:03 AM
a little more info would be helpful. Does it run ok once started. Is there black or blue smoke coming out of the exhaust when you start it? How many miles? when you got it you changed all the fluids and filters right? plugs and wires?

Old 07-04-06, 06:35 AM
it runs fine when it is started. I have changed nothing yet.It kind seems like its an gas issue why its not starting when flick the key like most cars. It like spitter and sputter for a sec...

Old 07-04-06, 11:24 AM
Does your check engine light work and is it on?

Old 07-04-06, 11:25 AM
Are you pressing the gas when you are trying to start the vehicle?

Old 07-04-06, 03:22 PM
How does the exhaust look, have someone stand behind the truck when you try to start it and see if it smokes at all and what color smoke.

Try pulling a plug and see what it looks like. Glazed over? carbon build up?

and if you dont know its maintence history, I would recommend changing the air and fuel filters, and changing the oil and transmission fluid/filters, and a radiator flush.

Old 07-04-06, 08:11 PM
you have to hold the key for 3 second for it to start any less and it doesnt start and seems like it stalls. Im thinking its the plugs could that be it?

Old 07-04-06, 08:31 PM
Please give us more information...you're asking us to make a guess based on limited data.

What is the engine size?

How many miles on the truck?

Is your check engine light on?

Are you pressing the gas when you are trying to start the vehicle?

And answer zzzz1486's questions too...

We want to help you but we also want to make sure we give you good advice...the more information you give us the better chance there is of that happening.

Old 07-04-06, 08:38 PM
4.2 liter V6
92000 miles
new starter and battery 3000 miles ago so i know its not that
no check engine light on.

pressing the gas does not seem to make a difference

Old 07-04-06, 10:13 PM
here is a simple cheap test. turn the key to on wait 5 sec. then turn to start. see if it starts right away then.

Tell us if that makes a difference.

Its a ford it will more than likely have blue smoke

Probably just needs plugs since so many people believe those are lifetime parts

Old 07-05-06, 07:12 AM
The point of pushing the pedal question was to see if you WERE pushing it...you are not supposed to be pushing it AT ALL on a fuel injected vehicle...otherwise you'll get too much gas and it can take longer to start.

Are those the original plugs w/ 92,000 miles on them? That would definitely create that type of problem as well.

Before you go chasing down expensive parts and difficult repairs...try the simple stuff first: Give it a tune up if it needs one...address any maintenance issues. Change your filters. Put a bottle of Lucas Gas Treatment (my personal preference...others will no doubt make theirs known) in the tank.

Old 07-05-06, 07:54 AM
plugs and wires would probably be a good place to start holding the pedal to the floor should put it in a clear flood mode and shut off the injectors to decrease fuel to the engine dont really suspect the engine is flooded as 3 seconds isnt really very long for an engine to crank over before starting.

Old 07-05-06, 08:01 AM
I don't know what fuel injected engines your used to (maybe diesel) but 3 secs is a long time.