1996 Cavalier Daytime Running Lights

Old 07-04-06, 07:16 AM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
1996 Cavalier Daytime Running Lights

I have a 1996 Chev Cavalier Z-24, 4 cyl, auto trans. The daytime running lights do not appear to be working. Also the high beam indicator light does not come on when the high beams are turned on.

The high and low beam lights work but no indicator light.

Is there a relay switch that might control these and if so where would it be located. If not, what would be the most likely cause for the daytime running lights and the high beam indicator light not to work?

Thanks and any info would be appreciated. feel free to email with answers or suggestions.

Ottof@comcast.net

Old 07-04-06, 11:23 AM
Is the emergency brake partially engaged? If it is engaged just a little the daytime running lights will not come on. Set the brake and then release it fully to check this. Also, if your vehicle is an automatic...the driving daytime running lights will not come on until the vehicle is taken out of Park.

I would surmise that the high-beam indicator light is a bulb blown in the dash. The fact that the high beam lights come on would support this supposition.

The daytime running lights relay is attached to back of the impact bar (bumper) about right in the center. If you have fog lights, its relay will be loacted right beside it so if you are looking at the back of the bumper...the running lights relay will be the one on your left.

Old 07-04-06, 11:37 AM
nap
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by davzack

The daytime running lights relay is attached to back of the impact bar (bumper) about right in the center. If you have fog lights, its relay will be loacted right beside it so if you are looking at the back of the bumper...the running lights relay will be the one on your left.
Sorry to hijack ottof.

davezack. 2000 grand prix. same location or elsewhere for the DRL relay?

Old 07-04-06, 01:05 PM
Ugh, no relay...the more expensive DRL Control Module...located under the LH instrument panel.

Pic here if needed:

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...xDRLModule.jpg

Old 07-04-06, 01:09 PM
nap
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by davzack
Ugh, no relay...the more expensive DRL Control Module...located under the LH instrument panel.

Pic here if needed:

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...xDRLModule.jpg
Thanks. Sux to be me.

Old 07-05-06, 05:04 AM
O
No Luck yet

Well, I spent the morning yesterday looking around and testing things. I bought a new relay switch, located behind the bumper, put it in and it didn't work. Did some tests with the ohm meter and it appears that the switch is working. The chiltons book said something about a microprocessor in the instrument panel. Not looking forward to that chore at all.

I did the checking the parking brake and all of that stuff, everything else works fine, just the running lights and the indicator light not working along with the high beam indicator light.

Thanks for all the info, will keep plugging away at it. Is there anything else that would affect them at all?

Old 07-05-06, 06:54 AM
"The headlamp system is controlled by the instrument cluster. The system operates by allowing the headlamps to operate at a reduced intensity when the vehicle is operating. The instrument cluster turns the system on by grounding the 592 circuit, thereby engergizing the DRL relay. This allows a reduced voltage of 6 volts to flow across teh headlamps."

Also, remember the transmission input...if the vehicle thinks it's in Park, the DRL will remain disabled. If there's any way you can hook the vehicle up to a scan tool and make sure the vehicle's computer "sees" that the vehicle has been taken out of Park that would be advisable.

But yeah, you're right, you may be looking at a new instrument cluster.

Old 07-05-06, 01:19 PM
my DRL has a fuse which i removed because i was annoyed with the bulbs burning out quite often.(truck) You did check for a bum fuse ?

Old 07-28-06, 04:48 AM
O
Originally Posted by daswede
my DRL has a fuse which i removed because i was annoyed with the bulbs burning out quite often.(truck) You did check for a bum fuse ?
Yup, checked fuses, air pressure, wiper blades and anything else that I could think of. I didn't take it to a shop to have them do a diagnostic tho', don't have a bag of money laying around to pay for it.

Everything else seems to work fine, just have to make sure that I know when my lights are on high/low beam is all. Will try to figure out how to take the dash apart to get to the instrument cluster......

Thanks for all of the input, maybe someone will come up with an easier way of fixing this other than trading it off which I don't want to do.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: