Turn signal problem

Old 07-05-06, 04:06 AM
Turn signal problem

1993 Buick Park Avenue.

Turn signals will not flash. The proper bulbs light inside and outside, but will not flash on and off. I have checked all bulbs, fuses, and replaced the flasher. The cornering lamps and hazard lights work (same fuse and flasher I think). The cruise control and wipers work (same arm on steering column). Does that just leave the turn signal switch? If so, is that something I can replace myself? I can see wires and components when I remove an access panel on the side of the column, but cannot see which is which or how to remove and replace.

thanks
Dale

Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-06, 05:42 AM
Originally Posted by Dwheeler52
1993 Buick Park Avenue.
and wipers work (same arm on steering column). Does that just leave the turn signal switch? If so, is that something I can replace myself? I can see wires and components when I remove an access panel on the side of the column, but cannot see which is which or how to remove and replace.

thanks
Dale
How comfortable are you working around a loaded SIR (Airbag) module? My Buick manuals are still packed, but if I recall the turn signal switch is under the airbag module inside the steering column. You'd have to disable the SIR (Supplemental Inflatable Restraint) system but there's an off chance that the airbag could go off anyways. If you can get a copy of either the actual GM shop manual or a Chilton's Total Car care manual for that year Buick either will outline the steps to disable the airbag system and change the switch. Today I'll make a point of unpacking all my GM manuals. You said you replaced one flasher, I believe there are two on those Buicks, one for the hazards and one for the turn signals. You might want to recheck that first.

Christopher

Old 07-05-06, 05:49 AM
If the turn signal lights are coming on but not flashing then I doubt it is the turn signal switch...it's the flasher. There are two flashers on this vehicle...one for the hazard lights and one for the turn signals. Are you sure you are not confusing the two?

Old 07-05-06, 07:44 AM
usually the turn signal flasher is stuck up under the dash drivers side somewhere and the hazard flasher is rather easy to find suspect you probably changed the hazard but need to find the turn signal flasher and change it.

Search this Thread