'Vette Anti-theft

Old 07-05-06, 04:15 AM
'Vette Anti-theft

My corvette, '98 C5 auto trans, has recently started displaying "Remove key and wait 10 seconds" after each time it's started. Remove the key, wait, and it starts and runs fine. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-06, 05:26 AM
Originally Posted by lhewitt
My corvette, '98 C5 auto trans, has recently started displaying "Remove key and wait 10 seconds" after each time it's started. Remove the key, wait, and it starts and runs fine. Any ideas?
Does your Corvette have the Passkey I/II security system that has a resistor pellet in the ignition key? If so, it's possible that either the resistor element has gone bad or the contacts on the key or the lock cylinder have worn out. I'm curious about the time factor, as generally when you place the wrong key in a Passkey equipped car and try to start it the time out period is three minutes.
A dealer could test the key to see if it's in the correct resistance range and use a Tech II machine to check the rest of the system.

Christopher

Old 07-05-06, 06:08 AM
There is a specific recall and a technical service bulletin issued by Chevrolet concerning that specific problem. You particular vette may be under the recall or the TSB depending on your VIN number. I suggest you visit your local dealership. The TSB in question is 01-02-35-008 dated December of 2001. The recall notice number is 04006B date November 23, 2004.

If you are covered under the recall it will be free. If you fall under the TSB you might have to pay for it. Some unethical dealerships might tell you that you are not covered at all or that you are covered under the TSB when in fact you are covered under the recall. If you have any doubt contact Chevrolet customer service.

Old 07-05-06, 06:09 AM
There is no resistor in the key for a C5 vette.

Something like this you can try to call the parts guy at the dealer and ask him. Or bring it in and get an estimate.

You might as well ask in a vette forum they would more than likely know something that vehicle specific.

Last edited by hotrodder89; 07-05-06 at 06:46 AM.
Old 07-05-06, 11:11 AM
The key has a resistor. Thanks for the info concerning the service bulletins and/or recall info....I'll check it out.

Old 07-05-06, 11:57 AM
wow thought they did away with that like they did with all there other vehicles that had it. You really do have the rubber in the key with contacts. about 3/4 the way up

usually back in the old days when that resistor in key was around, the vehicles would not start if that resistor failed or the circuit that checked for it failed. that was the point of the resistor so a screw driver could not be used instead of a key.

Old 07-05-06, 01:00 PM
Originally Posted by hotrodder89
wow thought they did away with that like they did with all there other vehicles that had it. You really do have the rubber in the key with contacts. about 3/4 the way up

usually back in the old days when that resistor in key was around, the vehicles would not start if that resistor failed or the circuit that checked for it failed. that was the point of the resistor so a screw driver could not be used instead of a key.
The "Passkey" system was originally developed for the Corvette in the 1985 model year and was a project of GM and the insurance industry. The actual system itself is "VATS" (Vehicle Anti-Theft System.) It was a very popular system and is still in use on GM cars as the Passkey III system. The Passkey III system gets rid of the resistor pellet in exchange for a passive radio transponder. I currently own a 1996 Buick Regal GS series II with a VATS system and all the keys have the pellet.

Christopher

Old 07-05-06, 01:45 PM
It was wasn't just made for the vette, all the gm vehicles had that crappy system when it came out.

I knew about the RF tag, but he claimed to have the resistor.

And your 96 regal is one body style behind the change to RF tags in the keys.
The next generation of buicks all had the RF tags. Which would match the year up of his vette to a regal of that year and it was phased out.

And I was just seeing how long he would go before he would say he didn't have a resistor, sometimes you just have to play with people and make them think.

You should have 2 keys for the vette use the other set and see if you get the same problem. For all I know you probably smashed that one with a hammer or stuck it in an electrical outlet.

Last edited by hotrodder89; 07-05-06 at 01:57 PM.
Old 07-05-06, 05:05 PM
It was wasn't just made for the vette, all the gm vehicles had that crappy system when it came out.

I knew about the RF tag, but he claimed to have the resistor.

And your 96 regal is one body style behind the change to RF tags in the keys.
Actually the PassKey III system was introduced in the 1998 model year and wasn't completely phased out of GM models until 2003 model year. The current system is called PassLock and operates the same way.

Christopher

Old 07-05-06, 05:47 PM
Originally Posted by ChristopherT
Actually the PassKey III system was introduced in the 1998 model year and wasn't completely phased out of GM models until 2003 model year. The current system is called PassLock and operates the same way.

Christopher

Please do list the 2 or 3 vehicles after 98 when all the major body changes happened that still had this primitive system. What 2003 model had this 1980 technology. I know cars aren't hightech but which one had this in 2003. You seam to be very up to date with the factory security systems, HMmmm

Old 07-05-06, 06:31 PM
Please do list the 2 or 3 vehicles after 98 when all the major body changes happened that still had this primitive system. What 2003 model had this 1980 technology. I know cars aren't hightech but which one had this in 2003. You seam to be very up to date with the factory security systems, HMmmm
After high school I worked for K-Mart as a mechanic during the mid-eighties. Before that I spent a year at a local NYANG base training as a mechanic, I worked six months at the motorpool (large engines) and six at the AGE (Aerospace Ground Equipment) section, (small engines (prime units) up to gas turbines). I never worked on the turbines myself but I seen them being used on large compressors. Every car I've owned since high school was a Buick. (1976 Riviera - 455 CID, 1986 Buick Century - 3.8, 1989 Buick Skyhawk - 2.0 Liter engine, and my 1996 Buick Regal GS - 3.8 liter V-6 that still gets 38 MPG highway) Every other car I owned was a Chevrolet, a 1985 Caprice 305 and a 1999 Blazer with a 4.3) After a year at K-mart I've done a lot of shadetree freelance work for friends and relatives. I don't do auto transmissions except for filter and fluid changes. I don't do air conditioning either. I read the trade magazines when I get the chance. And I spend what time I can here, trying to help others who come here voluntarily seeking solutions to thier problems.

Christopher

Old 07-05-06, 06:35 PM
what does that have to do with pass key. I am done with this thread it is going no where. Also that stuff doesn't impress me.

Old 07-05-06, 06:54 PM
what does that have to do with pass key. I am done with this thread it is going no where. Also that stuff doesn't impress me.
It's not meant to impress anyone it's a statement of fact. I don't have any fancy letters behind my name, I'm not ASE certified either. My grandfather was a mechanic and my father wasn't. There are no neon signs in my yard either. I do deal with a lot of GM cars and have worked on quite a few as that is my preference. I've worked on cars with the PassKey I/II systems before and researched the systems in the process of dealing with them. A little research goes a long way too. When Ihewitt said he had a 1998 Corvette that was telling him to remove the key and restart the vehicle after a period of time, there was a 99% chance he has a Passkey equipped car with the pellet on the key!

Christopher.

Old 07-05-06, 07:12 PM
I believe Chris was simply responding to your remark about how he is so familiar with factory security systems. I don't think his intent was to try and impress anyone. Besides, it's good to learn about other member's experience/background. It may help direct future posters with difficult to solve problems in the right direction. It's also nice to know stuff like that on a social level since this is a community...sort of a "meet your neighbors" type thing.

Old 07-05-06, 07:15 PM
eh either way I am here to help people not get personal as long as we are like flies on doo doo with responses who cares. The quick responses keep the people coming and will gain more members

Old 07-06-06, 03:15 AM
Thank you for the help ChristopherT and davzack....obviously hotrodder89 has not been exposed to GM products enough to have a worthy opinion....I don't use hammers on my keys OR stick them in an electrical outlet. Simply asked a question to see if anyone had an idea, which you did. The symptom surfaces with all keys. The resistance is approx the same with all three keys.

hotrodder89 - yes, you should be done with this thread....and all others. This site is for assisting people, not for your personal opinions, especially in this case where you obviously don't know what you're talking about.

Old 07-06-06, 08:23 AM
Originally Posted by lhewitt
The symptom surfaces with all keys. The resistance is approx the same with all three keys.
At this point the ignition lock cylinder is probably the culprit. You can always have the dealer replace it and reprogram the system or you could check with a local locksmith that specializes in automotive security. They might be able to replace the lock cylinder and reprogram the system or they might be only able to replace the cylinder. I wouldn't recommend sticking anything down the lock to try to clean the contacts. On my Buick there is one key that always hangs up a little when it tries to rotate in the column, but the other key works all the time. Nothing lasts forever!

Thanks, Ihewitt!

Christopher

Search this Thread