Bad Starter??

Old 07-05-06, 09:14 AM
Post Bad Starter??

Hi,

I have a 89 Chevy Suburban and I am having troubles starting it. I have a brand new battery in there and whenever the car has been sitting cold (30 mins. +) , it starts up fine. Whenever, say I drive to the supermarket and run in and run out, then the car won't start. Engine won't turn over. If I sit there for about 30 mins., then it will start. Is this an indicator of a bad starter?? How much will this cost me to replace??

Thanks,

sweetboy

Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-06, 09:30 AM
could be a bad starter would need to check for power to the starter while its acting up to be sure. have you tried starting in nuetral or moving the gear shifter down and back up to park again to see if it cranks over.
most shops would probably charge between 140 and 200 dollars to change, it can vary alot depending on labor rate and what brand starter they install and how much they mark up the part.

Old 07-05-06, 10:55 AM
Does it atleast click if you turn the key, if so that rules out a relay.

Other wise starter, or battery cables.

most likely starter

Old 07-05-06, 07:46 PM
The next time it won't start have someone crawl up under the truck and hit the starter with a hammer while you turn the key. If it starts then...it's definitely the starter.

Old 07-05-06, 07:53 PM
Not if its a brand new starter, If they see marks from hitting, if they check they most likely won't warranty it since you said it was new which means under warranty.

I am sure the parts guys won't question it if you exchange it as defective they expect close to half of the stuff they sell at certain parts places to come back

Old 07-05-06, 07:55 PM
I believe he has a brand new battery...

Old 07-05-06, 08:07 PM
good call I have read to many threads need to flush my head

Old 07-07-06, 07:01 PM
Yes..that's correct. It is a new battery not starter. Now the truck won't even start even if it is cold. Is this definately a bad starter?? When I turn the key, the inition makes a weak try at starting the motor.

Old 07-07-06, 08:14 PM
If it's a bad starter...it usually won't even turn the motor over at all. All you'll hear is a click. If you're getting a real slow turn over...then check you battery voltage at rest and while cranking the vehicle. If the battery voltage is good, check the voltage you're getting down at the starter when you are attempting to crank the vehicle. You should be getting almost exactly the same as what's at the battery.

You may have corroded cables going to the starter. You might also ensure both of your battery cable ends are in good condition, tight against the battery terminals, and free of any corrosion.

Old 07-07-06, 08:14 PM
BTW, a new battery doesn't necessarily mean a good battery...

Old 07-08-06, 11:18 AM
Smile

You might want to check the terminals for the battery and if it still happens have the alt checked too.. Sounds like its not charging the battery enough.. I had this happen to my E150 Van and it was the battery terminals. I changed them both (VERY CHEAP) autozone under $20 for both and I cleaned the terminals and now its happy.

Hope that helps,
-Pete