bleed brakes Chevy s10

Old 07-05-06, 11:42 AM
bleed brakes Chevy s10

i have a chevy s10 1998, and am new to bleeding brakes. My brake fluid is in need of change and here is what I did.
I replaced the fluid in the resevoir with new fluid. Using a hand held vacuum pump (Mityvac) I bled the passenger rear, removing about 12oz of fluid, followed by the driver rear, removing about 6oz of fluid. At this point, the system stopped flowing i.e. no more fluid could be drained out. I was careful to monitor the resevoir such that it never ran out of fluid. I have learned that some GMC's have valves (proportioning or combination) that have to be held open via special tools. Do I need this tool or is there an alternative. I've read you can open two bleeder screws (front and rear) and press the brakes to reposition the valve? Do they have to be closed before the brake pedal is released. Same side of the vehicle or opposite? Do they have to be closed before the brake pedal is released? To make matters worse, I also loosened the fittings on the brake lines to the master cylinder and let all the fluid leak out. Do I also need to bleed the cylinder as well?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-06, 11:50 AM
First step back take a breath and get a friend over.

Now fill the reservoir with fluid go to the passenger rear bleeder. tell your friend to pump the pedal 5 times then press and hold. You crack the bleeder loose and then as the stream starts dropping down tighten it before it goes back in the caliper. Repeat till all the air is out. then do the driver side rear same way, then do the passenger front same way, and then driver front same way.

Don't let reservoir go dry

I am assuming you are gravity bleeding the way you are doing it, I am not a believer in gravity bleeding.

Old 07-05-06, 11:53 AM
suggest you get someone to help you bleed them and just bleed all of the brakes one at a time starting the furthest from master and working your way to the master cylinder not using a vacum pump but having someone hold the pedal while you loosen and tighten the bleeders before the pedal is let up., if you think you got air in the master cylinder you may want to bench bleed it before bleeding the brakes just get a bench bleeding kit and do it on the vehicle by removing the lines to the master and inserting the bleeder hoses and submersing them into the resoirver and pressing the pedal very slowly up and down about 10 times.
usually the valve recenters itself but you may have to open a bleeder and press the pedal a couple of times to simulate a leak and get it to move and recenter.

Old 07-06-06, 10:07 AM
Originally Posted by snakedawg76
i have a chevy s10 1998, and am new to bleeding brakes. My brake fluid is in need of change and here is what I did.
I replaced the fluid in the resevoir with new fluid. Using a hand held vacuum pump (Mityvac) I bled the passenger rear, removing about 12oz of fluid, followed by the driver rear, removing about 6oz of fluid. At this point, the system stopped flowing i.e. no more fluid could be drained out. I was careful to monitor the resevoir such that it never ran out of fluid. I have learned that some GMC's have valves (proportioning or combination) that have to be held open via special tools. Do I need this tool or is there an alternative. I've read you can open two bleeder screws (front and rear) and press the brakes to reposition the valve? Do they have to be closed before the brake pedal is released. Same side of the vehicle or opposite? Do they have to be closed before the brake pedal is released? To make matters worse, I also loosened the fittings on the brake lines to the master cylinder and let all the fluid leak out. Do I also need to bleed the cylinder as well?
I have replaced the brake fluid on my 99 twice, I just remove all the fluid I can out of the reservoir and add new. I then gravity drain all wheels one at a time, furthest wheel first. You can see the fluid change color. The next ABS application flushes that, I like to keep things simple. I have only been flushing brakes since ABS, had one malfunction once, a flush fixed it.