gear shift problem

Old 07-05-06, 03:31 PM
gear shift problem

I have a 1996 Ford Taurus GL My car starts just fine when I push down on the brake pedal to place in reverse it will not go I tried all gears same thing...my gear shift works fine it acts like as thou its stuck in park..any idea of what is wrong?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-06, 04:22 PM
classic You need your shifter linkage adjusted

Maybe even a neutral safety switch but doubt it

Old 07-05-06, 07:03 PM
Doubt it too on the neutral safety switch...probably wouldn't start at all if that was bad. Check the shifter linkage...it may have even broke completely since it won't go into any gear at all...

You can look up under the dash to see if the linkage is attached there at the column and also on the side of the transmission. It may have just popped out of the bracket that holds it to the side of the transmission. It might be easier to see and isolate the problem if you can have someone switch gears while you look up under the dash. Just make sure you have the parking brake engaged just in case.

Old 07-05-06, 07:06 PM
If the shifter linkage was broken he would be able to easily move it with out the car doing anything but start in neutral or park depending on the how the switch is hooked up.

Old 07-05-06, 07:16 PM
I believe that is what he said...that he was able to start the vehicle, but when he puts it in any gear...nothing. If the cable were simply out of adjustment...he would still be able to get into another gear...even if he had to go all the way down to 1 to get it out of park. He described it as being stuck in park no matter where he placed the gear shift lever. Either way, he's got a problem with the shifter cable that needs to be explored.

Old 07-05-06, 07:22 PM
Originally Posted by lrh1611
I have a 1996 Ford Taurus GL My car starts just fine when I push down on the brake pedal to place in reverse it will not go I tried all gears same thing...my gear shift works fine it acts like as thou its stuck in park..any idea of what is wrong?

Ya this is unclear the press brake pedal no go sounds like unbroken cable, Then he is unclear on if he gets the shifter to move but nothing happens in the tranny

Old 07-05-06, 09:16 PM
re:hotrodder89

The shifter will go into gear,I have checked the shift linkange apears to be working properly,When you place the car in reverse and press the gas the car remains in park position.I tried drive same reponse& with each gear.

Old 07-06-06, 04:38 AM
Ah, now we may getting somewhere. Thanks for clearing that up...it now sounds as if you may be low on transmission fluid. Start your car and let it warm up to normal operating temperature. Once it's there, check the transmission fluid with the car running. It should be at the top hot mark. If not, fill with the correct type of transmission fluid...it should have the type required on the stick. I believe for your vehicle it will say Mercon V. This is important! If you put the wrong type of fluid in, you may damage your transmission. If it's really low (not even on the dipstick) just add one quart at at time and keep rechecking until you get to the proper level.

If it turns out you were low, make sure you find the leak and repair it.

Let us know what happens...

Old 07-11-06, 01:20 PM
Originally Posted by davzack
Ah, now we may getting somewhere. Thanks for clearing that up...it now sounds as if you may be low on transmission fluid. Start your car and let it warm up to normal operating temperature. Once it's there, check the transmission fluid with the car running. It should be at the top hot mark. If not, fill with the correct type of transmission fluid...it should have the type required on the stick. I believe for your vehicle it will say Mercon V. This is important! If you put the wrong type of fluid in, you may damage your transmission. If it's really low (not even on the dipstick) just add one quart at at time and keep rechecking until you get to the proper level.

If it turns out you were low, make sure you find the leak and repair it.

Let us know what happens...
It's the transmission needs to be overhauled cost is about 1500.

Old 07-11-06, 04:17 PM
Sounds like a fair price btw based on the labor times and the cost of a rebuilt kit...