1994 Honda Accord Wagon Power Antenna Problem

Old 07-05-06, 05:23 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question 1994 Honda Accord Wagon Power Antenna Problem

Well I did a search, but didn't really see anything.
Here's my deal though...... I have a 1994 Honda Accord LX Wagon with the power antenna.

The motor unit and mast went out, so I replaced it with an aftermarket unit from antennaX.com (http://www.antennax.com/Products/Description_ax05.htm). Everything went smoothly on install, but it doesn't work when I splice the wires together.

The wires (well one wire does, not both) in the Honda measure voltage at 12V before I splice the power antenna in. Once the antenna is in, the voltage is dropping to 1.52-2.5 Volts, which is obviously causing the power antenna not to work.

Do any of you know why the voltage would drop like that, and what I could try in order to fix the problem? The people at antennaX.com won't reply to emails for support at all.

Any help anyone can offer will be greatly appreciated! I'm completely stumped!

Thanks in advance!
-S

Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-06, 05:40 PM
there should be 3 wires. one is power, ground, signal(radio on).

you may have the power and signal wires mixed. Both are 12V but only one can supply enough current to drive the antenna motor. Which would explain your voltage drop

Old 07-05-06, 05:45 PM
Originally Posted by hotrodder89

you may have the power and signal wires mixed. Both are 12V but only one can supply enough current to drive the antenna motor. Which would explain your voltage drop
Well there are three wires:
1) Yellow/White with 12V
2) Black (which I assume is the ground)
3) Blue/White which has no voltage when the radio is on - so I assume it's the wire that triggers the voltage to lower the antenna when the radio is turned off.

I suppose I can check the black wire for voltage instead of assuming it's a ground.

Old 07-05-06, 05:50 PM
Are you talking about the wire in the car or on the antenna you bought

What is the blue white when the radio is off.

what are the colors on the new antenna

Is the 12V one always 12 when whether the radio is on or off

Old 07-05-06, 05:56 PM
lets take the 3 wires on the car.

I am not 100% sure because I don't have the schematics but pretty sure since you have 3 wires.

the 12vdc one will always be 12Vdc as long as the key is on.
The other is your signal.
Then the next is ground, which you can test by measuring the resistance from the pin to the clean metal on the car or to battery for continuity.

The next is the signal to the relay to indicate radio on antenna up.

If your not getting the signal then your old mass was probably still good.

Test it by connecting the ground and then tieing the 2 other wires to the battery or 12Vdc. Test it with the battery

Old 07-05-06, 06:18 PM
then to get that rabid antenna back in after the test disconnect the signal wire and leave the power wire connected

Old 07-05-06, 07:21 PM
Question

lets take the 3 wires on the car.

I am not 100% sure because I don't have the schematics but pretty sure since you have 3 wires.

the 12vdc one will always be 12Vdc as long as the key is on.
The other is your signal.
Then the next is ground, which you can test by measuring the resistance from the pin to the clean metal on the car or to battery for continuity.

The next is the signal to the relay to indicate radio on antenna up.

If your not getting the signal then your old mass was probably still good.

Test it by connecting the ground and then tieing the 2 other wires to the battery or 12Vdc. Test it with the battery

I'll try to answer all of your questions...

The new power antenna has a black (ground), red (for 12v), and blue (which doesn't carry a constant 12v).

The car has a white/yellow wire that has a constant 12v, a white/blue that doesn't have a constant 12v, and a black wire, which I figure is the ground.

My old power antenna motor works, but it's 12 years old and the entire mast, tubing, etc.. snapped completely off, so I can't order any parts to fix it.

The new antenna works fine if I ground it and touch the blue & red wire to the car battery (goes up)... then goes down fine with just the red wire touching the car battery. It also functions the same way when I do the same test with a 12v portable gel cell battery I have.

It's just crazy.. when I measure the white/yellow wire on the car before I attach the red wire on the power antenna, it's 12v... as soon as the red wire is attached the voltage immediately drops to 1.9-2.5v (approx.) -- of course with the ground and white/blue wire connected as well.

I'm not sure if the new power antenna has some kind of switch in it that's dropping the voltage, or if there's something else going on.

Old 07-05-06, 07:25 PM
I am going to say white blue is signal since it is not constant. Do the changed on the white bleu if the radio is off vs on.

But then again try switching the 2 other wires that aren't ground on the care.

You may need to run a switched 12Vdc wire. And then use the other that has a 12Vdc that depends on the radio being on or off to use that universal antenna

Atleast you now know what conditions are needed for th power antenna to work

Last edited by hotrodder89; 07-05-06 at 07:41 PM.
Old 07-05-06, 07:45 PM
Question

I am going to say white blue is signal since it is not constant. Do the changed on the white bleu if the radio is off vs on.

But then again try switching the 2 other wires that aren't ground on the care.

You may need to run a switched 12Vdc wire. And then use the other that has a 12Vdc that depends on the radio being on or off to use that universal antenna
Well I just went out and messed with it some more.....
The white/yellow is a contant 12v
The white/blue carries .03v constantly

Both wires drop to zero volts when the car is shut off.
Also, I just noticed the dome lights in the car don't work, and neither does the door chime unless i connect the cars ground wire, and touch the cars white/yellow & white/blue wire together. Then the door chime works again, and the dome lights barely come on.

Old 07-05-06, 08:11 PM
Originally Posted by sesj
Also, I just noticed the dome lights in the car don't work, and neither does the door chime unless i connect the cars ground wire, and touch the cars white/yellow & white/blue wire together. Then the door chime works again, and the dome lights barely come on.
what ground wire the battery one. Those 2 wires together won't effect that circuit for the dome. Now I would need schematics to verify that. wish I had all data or something a few schematics and I could have you on your way. Don't worry you didn't damage anything by doing that you just pulled the ground to same potential as the battery to the radio so there was not voltage drop across the mosfet in the radio which means no current flow which means your radio is still undamaged from what you just did .

Old 07-05-06, 08:21 PM
First, my condolences...I've always had a bear of a time getting aftermarket antennas to work properly...never can figure them out. I also never know what I do to fix it finally...just keep trying different combinations of wires...hit or miss. If you think this will help, here are the wiring diagrams from Honda on the antenna:

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...nnaWiring1.jpg
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...nnaWiring2.jpg

Old 07-05-06, 08:26 PM
all right i downloaded them you can take the links down before you have a copy right law suit let me look them over. then I reply back

Because those do look very familiar

Old 07-05-06, 08:33 PM
Are your trunk lights working normally cuz now your issue makes more sense why the white blue would always be dead.

The .03 volts is most like from internal noise of the DMM from the osc clock. basically same as 0Vdc for your purpose

White blue is your power to the antenna.

Old 07-05-06, 08:36 PM
check fuse number 37 under hood its 7.5 amps you probably blew it horsing around.

If thats not the case next step is a checking a relay

Signal is yellow white wire

Old 07-05-06, 08:43 PM
you do need to check the fuses in the under hood fuse block 36 a 15 amp fuse and 37 a 7.5 amp fuse and hook the anttena up correctly blue white 12 volts , yellow white signal from radio if it doesnt work you may have damaged the radio by putting to much load on the signal wire you can pull the radio and see if its fused but alot of them are not.

Old 07-05-06, 08:45 PM
fuse 36 don't matter well he would be saying his radio don't work if that one was bad. which would mean he couldne't test the signal for if the radio was on or off.

The junction in the mosfet won't break down if he put 12Vdc to the drain. assuming this is a mosfet switched signal and not transistor.

He says dome lights start working when he bypass's that fuse but never complains of radio not working so I assume that fuse working.

I am retiring to bed and emailed the schematics to my work email so I will continue on this tomorrow, post your responce

I will agree it is possible you screwed radio by putting to much load on it but it depends on the design of the radio so thats up in the air. respond back ttyl

Old 07-05-06, 08:54 PM
If it helps you sleep better my bets are on you blew the fuse because of your dome light situation

See how much better and more accurately we can help when we have access to the schematics with electrical problems

Old 07-05-06, 08:58 PM
Question

fuse 36 don't matter well he would be saying his radio don't work if that one was bad. which would mean he couldne't test the signal for if the radio was on or off.

The junction in the mosfet won't break down if he put 12Vdc to the drain. assuming this is a mosfet switched signal and not transistor.

He says dome lights start working when he bypass's that fuse but never complains of radio not working so I assume that fuse working.

I am retiring to bed and emailed the schematics to my work email so I will continue on this tomorrow, post your responce

I will agree it is possible you screwed radio by putting to much load on it but it depends on the design of the radio so thats up in the air. respond back ttyl

Ok... I blew the 7.5 amp fuse and replaced it, so the dome lights and door chime are back to normal. So everything is ok in regard to that now. *duh* :-)

The radio is functioning fine though.. it's an aftermarket radio, and none of those fuses are blown.. it all functions perfect (cd player, satellite radio, etc.)

So if I caught myself up correctly, it sounds like you're saying the white/blue is the main power wire (that has 0.3 or 0 volts), and the white/yellow that has the 12v constant voltage is the signal wire? Hmm if that's the case, I'll need to hook the 0 volt white/blue to the red wire on the antenna, and the 12v white/yellow constant voltage wire to the blue (signal wire) on the new power antenna.
I can give that try.. I just don't want to blow the 7.5amp fuse again. :-) Probably shorted something like you said.

Old 07-05-06, 09:08 PM
Smile

Originally Posted by bejay
you do need to check the fuses in the under hood fuse block 36 a 15 amp fuse and 37 a 7.5 amp fuse and hook the anttena up correctly blue white 12 volts , yellow white signal from radio if it doesnt work you may have damaged the radio by putting to much load on the signal wire you can pull the radio and see if its fused but alot of them are not.
GOOD NEWS!! That was exactly the problem! I used the white/blue for the 12v and the white/yellow for signal and the thing worked. Jeez... I don't know why I didn't try that. I was just following the silly instructions that came with the antenna, which were COMPLETELY WRONG!

What a mess.... THANK YOU all very very much. I was about ready to start pulling my hair out. Luckily nothing got shorted/damaged. :-)

In this case, I'm not sure if saying thank you is enough because I was at a complete loss.

Thanks again though!

Old 07-06-06, 06:15 AM
Yah, You should always do what voices in the forum tell you to do. Much like the voices in the back of your head.

Old 07-06-06, 06:19 AM

ya like it was stated in the first post.