86 nissan pulsar nx canada model idle mixture

Old 07-06-06, 08:15 AM
86 nissan pulsar nx canada model idle mixture

even though the idle mixture screw has a cap on it, a special screwdriver that is a flat head with a cut in the middle (kinda looks like a "V" can be used to adjust, correct?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-06, 08:24 AM
I have never seen a pulsar, but if thats what it looks like it takes you grind a screw driver like that.

You may need to ground a wire to before adjusting its base setting, if it is fuel injected

Old 07-06-06, 08:42 AM
its carbureted, and has the limiter cap so normal screwdrivers won't work. i'll grind one i don't care for too much.

Old 07-06-06, 09:03 AM
Grind the flat head that beat up the philips.

Old 07-06-06, 01:48 PM
i'm going to grind it tomorrow, in the meantime heres a scan of what i'm looking for:

http://www.macneill.ca/screwdriver.jpg

are those readily available at auto parts stores?

heres the history on my car:

previous owner had problem with carburetor (bad gaskets) so he got it tuned a bit at a shop which i'm guessing richened the mixture so it wouldn't stall out

now i've rebuilt the carburetor, soaked it, sprayed with cleaner and compressed air, put in new flot and rebuild kit, all new gaskets, etc.

so now it stalls out when i loer the dle below 1000rpm in D gear, and that means Park and neutral idles around 1400-1600RPM. The onnly way i can get the car to run is to set it 5 degrees BTDC, instead of the way on my emissions label 5 degrees ATDC. (yes i pulled vaccum advance and tocs solenoid valve) the car runs 5ATDC but can't be started 5 BTDC.

so if i lean out the mixture (turn clockwise right?) and adjust the timing and set the idle speed it should be alright? i've sprayed carb cleaner around and on vaccum lines and it doesn't seem to have an effect so no vaccum leaks. (i've clipped off most of the cracks on the ends and clamped them down)

Old 07-06-06, 01:57 PM
I don't recall seeing a screw driver like that but then again I never would have paid attention if I saw one. You could just buy a $1 dollar screw driver from a bin at a store and grind that one if you don't want to ruin a good one.

When it comes to carbs I will have to say talk to an older mechanic thats where my knowledge starts to run slim. But anything fuel injected or computer controlled is way simpler than a carb to me. People who do carbs are dealing with black magic in my opinion. Especially when it comes to idle speeds with carbs. If you throw EGR in with Carbs and then try to get it to idle its like oh hell.

I had to tune a carb once quite a few years ago. I had some one hold the brake with it in drive press the gas, then I turned turned it so rich that it sputtered and backed it till the RPM reached its peak while he held the pedal steady, that how I set the low and high speed adjustment for fuel.

But I am sure there is other people who can tell you how to tune a carb better than I can.

If you need to implement a 12x12 VE matrix for fuel injection I would be able to get you started on that and how to get it idling.

5 degrees ATDC would make me think it would be hard to start because you would be yielding a very low BMEP.