1992 Chevy Suburban ABS Light is on.

Old 07-06-06, 08:17 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
1992 Chevy Suburban ABS Light is on.

I have a 1992 suburban, the ABS light is on and I would like to know how to trouble shoot the system. Also the trip odometer is not working, does it have anything to do with the wheel speed sensor?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-06, 08:21 AM
You have to go to a shop, your common $200 code puller will not get abs codes. You can call auto zone and see it they can pull an abs code. Otherwise there is no way to begin troubleshooting with out the code.

Old 07-06-06, 08:35 AM
Originally Posted by David Enos
I have a 1992 suburban, the ABS light is on and I would like to know how to trouble shoot the system. Also the trip odometer is not working, does it have anything to do with the wheel speed sensor?
Check ALL the brake lamps including the third brake light. Bad bulbs can set a OBD code on some vehicles. Check all the fuses too, the ABS might share a fuse with the IP circuit. A digital odometer generally gets it's signal from the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) which is usually on the transmission somewhere. The ABS gets it's signals from 4 wheel sensors, 2 in the front calipers and 2 on the rear brakes near the backing plate. Loose sensor wires can cause an ABS fault too. Autozone's scanner should be able to pull an ABS code, but sometimes that depends on the individual store.

Christopher

Old 07-06-06, 11:19 AM
you can get abs codes by jumpering the aldl connector under the dash pins h and a together and turning the key on and watching and counting the brake light flashes.
check autozones website for more info and truble code information you will need to know if it is a 4 wheel abs or rear wheel abs.
http://autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker...3d80088486.jsp

Old 07-06-06, 11:33 AM
where do you keep finding these jumper pins instructions. You find them for all the vehicles all the time.

Let me in on your secret hiding place