Sluggish motor

Old 07-07-06, 11:40 AM
Question Sluggish motor

I have a 94 Buick Roadmaster Estate with a 5.7L 350. When I come to a stop or sometimes just let off the accelerator the engine acts like it is not getting any gas. I've replaced the fuel filter. Hooked a fuel pressure gauge to the engine but do not see a drop in fuel pressure (38-43 PSI). What else could be causing my problem?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-06, 11:26 AM
Thumbs up

Check the mass air flow sensor. I have seen this a lot on cars.
ITs just infront of the airfilter housing.. I would bang on it a little and if that helps that you know thats the issue.
*BEFORE you buy a new one you can fix the old one! This works 7 times out of 10.

Get some Electronics cleaner fluid from Radio Shack or electronic supply shop. Cheap $2-$4

Open up the mass air flow assembly and take it off the car so you have access to the front and back of it. You have to be carefull and dont over do it.
You spray the inside sensor, gently! You will see plastic rod with a cutout with a metal rod in the center thats the sensor. It should be a little dirty whe we are done it will look almost new. ;o)
Spray gently up and down and let drain off and than do the other side. After that you will will want to clean the harness connector on the top of the unit where the harness plus in. When you are done just let it sit for 20 minutes and plug it all back in. Thanks it you are done. You will notice as the car relearns it running a lot better! If not you need to read the computer and see if the sensor is really bad.
If it is you have one thats cooked and will need to be replaced. But I have had LOTS of luck with this.

Hope it helps!
-Pete

Old 07-08-06, 12:09 PM
might check the egr valve might be sticking open or slow to close wich could cause the engine to die or try to die when you let off the gas suggest you remove it and try cleaning it first.

Old 07-08-06, 10:02 PM
What's the maintenance history of this vehicle? Is all the simple stuff okay? (Spark plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor button, air filter, fuel filter, etc.) Start simple and work your way up to the hard stuff. How's that saying go: can't see the forest for the trees?

Old 07-11-06, 08:28 AM
Red face slugish motor

I tried the mas sensor cleaning. Now I'm going back to basics. Plugs, Wires, Cleaning the egr valve. I know from on old merc I used to have that the egr valve can cause a lot of problems. Thanks for all the advice.

Old 07-11-06, 06:03 PM
Wouldn't hurt either to have the computer scanned for diagnostic trouble codes...

Old 07-11-06, 06:26 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Is a mas, maf, map sensor all one in the same?

Old 07-11-06, 07:09 PM
Nope, you have both Mass Air Flow Meters/Sensors AND Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensors.