air conditioing clutch help

Old 07-07-06, 11:45 AM
air conditioing clutch help

Any one know of a good place to get an air conditioning clutch assembly that was made with quality.

My first compressor started having the bearing scream after 20 min, only when the compressor wasn't engaged.

The next one lasted 4 days before the clutch bearing started screaming when the compressor wasn't engaged.

I know my life sucks and I never luck out but this is stupid that these clutch bearings are going like this. I am one of those people where if 1 out of 100 parts are on bad on the shelf I will grab the bad one. But this is 3 compressors later the first one didn't work for a different reason

I am planning on just pulling the clutch assembly while the compressor is still on the vehicle, I am sick of bringing the compressors back as defective because of a stupid clutch bearing and getting oil every where..

Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-06, 12:04 PM
wouldnt just replace the clutch would replace the whole cmpressors you can put a brand new clutch on and turn it to junk in a very short time if it slips much at all.
would also be checking the orfice tube every time you have to change out a compressor for any metal shaving that may of gotten trapped into it.
should probably check voltage at the compressor to make sure it isnt low the compressor will engage at 10 volts but not very good.

Old 07-07-06, 12:29 PM
The compressor works fine.

Its when I don't have the air conditioning on or its not engaged the idler bearing in the clutch assembly screams when the compressor has no load on it.

This when clutch is NOT supposed to be engaged.

Old 07-07-06, 12:43 PM
http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=269341
your on your 3rd compressor and it worked fine for several days and now all of a sudden it is making noise when its not engaged probably is a little discolered also like its been hot from slipping.

Old 07-07-06, 12:59 PM
That is a good point hot from slipping. It is painted so I can't tell if it is discolored. I thought the bearing had a little to much side to side play before I put it in but it wasn't scraping. It would be weird to get 2 compressors with clutches that were slipping. the parts guys even over look the compressors before they will allow a defect exchange and he agreed the bearing was screwed in the second one. Now the 3rd one is making the same noise when the bearing is unloaded (clutch not engaged).

Yes this is the roadmaster and it is the reman compressor

Old 07-07-06, 06:30 PM
I'll bet those compressors were all rebuilt at the same time by a new guy in the shop who didn't know what he was doing. Not all mechanics know how to properly work with bearings. It's easy to screw up a bearing. Most bearing failures occur from improper installation - not because something is intrinsically wrong with the bearing.

I get my a/c parts from ackits.com or acsource.com. Both have a good reputation for quality parts.