ABS light comes on

Old 07-08-06, 09:41 AM
ABS light comes on

98 Plymouth Breeze 2.0L SOHC 72K Miles.

1) I used to have false ABS activation during braking. Normal braking, slowing down from 40 mph, ABS activation at 10 mph until 3 mph. For an extra light braking, no ABS activation. I reported this in another thread.

2) Now I am having ABS light on the dashboard. It does not come on immediately. It comes on a minute after cruising. With ABS light on, no longer false activation.

3) Car stopped and engine cut off on the drive way. OBD2 reader connected. Nothing. No code.

Please tell me if I need to take it to a dealer.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-06, 11:42 AM
there is several scanners that can read abs codes on your car however they are all expensive and most shops will have one you do not have to go to the dealer if you dont want to but it will require a good scanner and may require test driving to get the light to come on.

Old 07-08-06, 12:53 PM
Originally Posted by puter
98 Plymouth Breeze 2.0L SOHC 72K Miles.

1) I used to have false ABS activation during braking. Normal braking, slowing down from 40 mph, ABS activation at 10 mph until 3 mph. For an extra light braking, no ABS activation. I reported this in another thread.

2) Now I am having ABS light on the dashboard. It does not come on immediately. It comes on a minute after cruising. With ABS light on, no longer false activation.

3) Car stopped and engine cut off on the drive way. OBD2 reader connected. Nothing. No code.

Please tell me if I need to take it to a dealer.

Thanks.
If not a dealer, then one of the major brake/muffler chains in the area would work. Call them and ask them if they are equipped to pull the ABS codes and do the diagnosis. If you aren't getting the false activation when the light is on that's because the ABS system is disabled until the code is cleared. You can drive the car on the regular brakes, those will continue to work fine. Just for kicks, how are the tires on your car? New or do they have a lot of mileage on them? Nearly bald tires could cause the ABS to activate when you normally wouldn't expect it to.

Christopher

Old 07-08-06, 01:10 PM
Last trip to AutoZone did not have ABS light on. No false activation, either. This is puzzling.

Burning question is this: can a dealer scan ABS system when the car has no ABS light on or no OBD2 code?

I have been keeping the tires rotated and balanced at PepBoys. I have lifetime wheel balancing. One tire is older than the rest, but still has good tread. It was a spare (never used) but pulled out from the trunk. I bought the car 4 years ago and the tire was the spare then. It now has small surface cracks. Do you suspect it?
Thanks.

The car had timing belt and water pump replaced yesterday. The shop connected their scanner to the car. They were able to comminicate with transmission and engine but could not with ABS.
Thanks.

Old 07-08-06, 01:37 PM
usually autozone uses a cheap generic scanner to get engine codes out of obd2 vehicles there scanner probably isnt capable of reading abs codes a good scanner will have different sections such as engine, transmission, abs, body possibly even airbag and you select wich computer codes you want to read, plus scan the data of each computer, shops spend alot each year just keeping there scanners updated so it can read newer models of vehicles but they still generally run about 2 years behind the dealer so if it your car was a 2005 or 2006 model you would probably have to go to the dealer.

Old 07-08-06, 02:27 PM
Originally Posted by puter
Burning question is this: can a dealer scan ABS system when the car has no ABS light on or no OBD2 code?

Thanks.
Yes, the scanners used by the dealers are capable of reading codes that are set and don't light up the ABS or the Check Engine light. The dealer can also scan the ABS and perform
checks on the system using their scanner. Even if their hourly rate is higher it might be cheaper overall because of thier familiarity with the systems.

Generally when buying new tires for ABS equipped cars it's preferable to purchase them in sets of 4, or at least in pairs. Rotating the tires would help to cancel out any issues that one new tire and three not so new might cause.

Christopher

Old 07-09-06, 12:05 PM
The reason the ABS light is coming on and you have false activation is because the system is seeing a different signal from one or more of the wheel sensors. This is why the light does not come on until after your first braking event. The dealers scanner is capable of doing things that the aftermarket scanners will not do. There are some aftermarket scanners that can do some of the things that the OE scanner will and it is getting better each year. The myth that the dealers labor rate is higher is just that, a myth. I have worked in dealers as well as aftermarket shops for several years and in a couple of different states and for the domestic vehicles the labor rates are normally within 10% of one another between dealers and independent shops. Some shops go by different methods of determining the amount of time they will charge you for a specific repair so they can save YOU money compared to the dealer, but the technician gets the shaft.
You should take your car to a reputable shop, and providing they have a good aftermarket scanner they can fix you right up or go to the dealer. Either way this car should not be that difficult to diagnose. One point to ponder, unless you have severly worn tires that are slipping on wet/loose pavement, or the pressures are all over the board or the sizes dont match, it is unlikely that your tires are the cause of this problem.
Hope this is helpful to ya,
Billy

Old 07-09-06, 12:21 PM
What puzzled me was on and off symptoms. Encouraged by your replies, I decided to make one more inspection of the sensors. One of the 4 sensors were especially close to the ring. And the gap between them, as I was checking it with flashlight, was not continuous (because of the buildup on the sensor). Also, the ring was especially dirty. I removed the sensor and wiped both the ring and the sensor with alcohol and set the sensor at the same distance with the others.

So far, no ABS light, no false activation. I wonder if I nailed it. I mean I hope I nailed it.

Old 07-09-06, 12:30 PM
Actually..... you probably did. This is one of the most common reasons for ABS activation. These sensors use a magnetic pulse and when the sensor tip is dirty or contaminated the signal can be interupted and interpreted as an unusualy braking event by the ABS computer.
When you say you reset the gap, how did you do this, as this sensor is set from the factory to be set at a specific location based on the machined surfaces on the spindle or hub?
Billy